This week, Jorge talks about [present simple]

Ivan_I

Russian
I am pretty sure I have heard this on BBC radio.

This week, Jorge talks about his music.

I understand it as John is given a week to talk about his music and I think this talking doesn't take place every year during this particular week. Do you think the same?

Then I wonder wouldn't it be better to use Present Continuous? Or is it an official register?

• Uncle Jack

British English
    Quite likely you heard it. I expect it was in respect of a regular weekly program, which would have been named. Jorge (or John, in your text) will only be speaking on this program, so the simple present tense is fine. The future continuous tense would also be good, but the present continuous tense is not as good here, in my opinion.

Ivan_I

Russian
    Well, I got an impression that it was a composer who was given a week to talk about his music. Maybe the program takes place regularly but the composer doesn't speak of his music regularly. Can it be a planned action? Only for one week?

Plus I also heard this:

All this week we are looking at the photos from 2013.

Uncle Jack

British English
    My post contained something of a circular argument. The present simple sounded the natural tense to use for a single edition of a weekly program, so that is what I assumed was being referred to; I know that such weekly programs exist. It is common for radio stations to devote a week to a particular subject, but it is surely inconvenient for a living composer to come in repeatedly during that week to talk about his music.
    All this week we are looking at the photos from 2013.
    This is fine.

< Previous | Next >