tho [though]

nikoW

Russian - Ukraine, Ukrainian - Ukraine.
Hi! I would like to ask native speakers how to use "tho" (though) in sentences. I saw, that it can be used in the beginning of the sentence as in the end. Does it have the same meaning, and can I put "=" between it?
For e.x.:
•"There was one dangerous moment though."
•"He's still a great friend though."
and
•"Though I may fail, I will still try."
(why don't "I may fail, but I'll still try though?")
•"Though it was raining, we went hiking."
Thanks a lot!

• The Newt

English - US
    "Though" means something different in the first pair of sentences than it does in the second pair. In the first two (where it should probably be preceded by a comma) it means something like "nevertheless"; in the others it means "even though / although."

Linguisticks

English - Australia
    •"Though I may fail, I will still try."
    (why don't "I may fail, but I'll still try though?")
    "Though I may fail, I will still try." :tick:
    "I may fail, but I'll still try though." ("but" says the same thing as "though")
    "I may fail. I'll still try, though.":tick:

nikoW

Russian - Ukraine, Ukrainian - Ukraine.
    Thanks. I understood, that it depends on the context, and if we want to say a simple sentence (without comma) we may put it in the end (like to sum up something, that "he is a good friend tho" (even if he did something bad. We just accept it, even if we think it's not OK.).
    However, when we want to say "Though I may fail (sounds like "I don't care, I still wanna try again!:D), I'll still try." we do something like showing the opposite way how it suppose to be. Like if I fail I have to give up, but I show that I'll do an opposite thing. Or "Though it's rainy weather outside, I'll go for a walk." We have to sit at home as a rule, but we do an opposite thing again, even if it's rainy. We just don't care.
    Am I right? I know that it sounds tricky, but English is not my native language, and I tried to compare my thoughts in Russian with it.

Delvo

American English
    Perhaps it would help to look at not completely different sentences that start or end with that word, but at sentences that are as close as possible to the same other than the placement of that word. First, here are all four with "though" at the end:

•There was one dangerous moment though. (original)
    •He's still a great friend though. (original)
    •I will still try though. (moved)
    •We went hiking though. (moved)

Notice that in the ones where I moved it from the beginning to the end, I had to drop a few extra words, to make them fit the pattern. ("I may fail" and "it was raining")

So now, what about the opposite case: what must I do to make a sentence work when I move "though" the opposite way: from the end to the beginning?

•Though I may fail, I will still try. (back to original)
    •Though it was raining, we went hiking. (back to original)
    •Though __________, there was one dangerous moment. (moved this time)
    •Though __________, he's still a great friend. (moved this time)

Not only do I need to preserve the few words I had taken out before, I'm also missing something that was never there at all in the others (ones that had originally had "though" at the end). I need to finish the sentence by adding something you didn't originally give me, like:

•Though it might sound pretty safe from what you've heard so far, there was one dangerous moment.
    •Though he can sometimes be a bit boring, he's still a great friend.

In other words, the general pattern is that "though" can be used alone as an adverb (synonymous with "anyway") at the end of a sentence, but needs to be part of a phrase at the beginning. (And it's a bit archaic in that beginning-of-sentence phrase; "even though" or "although" would be more common now, or nothing at the start but a "but" at the end of the equivalent phrase, as in "I may fail, but..." or "It was raining, but...".)

Because the phrase you'd need to fill in to put "(al)though" at the beginning contains more information than the word alone, you might need to use that option when you're talking to somebody who doesn't know that information. Putting "though" or "anyway" at the end only works if the information that's not included was already mentioned earlier in the conversation.

< Previous | Next >