Thoroughly vs utterly vs comprehensively

Minhaz.esmail

Bengali
What are the differences between Thoroughly vs Utterly vs Comprehensively?
When & where should i use them ? And why??

Thank you!

• Minhaz.esmail

Bengali
    What sentences would you want to use them in?
    Here it is -

# Okay lets assume that i'm talking to a friend of mine about a football match that happened yesterday, and he neither watched the match nor has any idea about the result.

- Did you watch the match yesterday? Chelsea beat Spurs 2-1! but i had expected a utterly different result.
    - Did you watch the match yesterday? Chelsea beat Spurs 2-1! but i had expected a thoroughly different result.
    - Did you watch the match yesterday? Chelsea beat Spurs 2-1! but i had expected a comprehensively different result.

Do these three sentences have different meanings ? and if so, then which one should i use in this context and why?

Last edited:

Chez

English English
    I'm afraid I wouldn't use any of these words in your sentence – they sound odd. The most natural word to use here is 'completely': a completely different result.

But see:
    Chelsea beat Spurs 7–0. Spurs were comprehensively beaten (no question, it was an extreme defeat)
    The score was 0–0. It was a thoroughly boring game. (it was extremely boring, all the way through)
    The Chelsea players were fantastic. Spurs were utterly outclassed. (The Chelse players were a million times better than the Spurs players)

Utterly. thoroughly and comprehensively express a big extreme.

You could use the three words more or less interchangeably in the above sentences.

Minhaz.esmail

Bengali
    Thank you so much!
    I'm afraid I wouldn't use any of these words in your sentence – they sound odd. The most natural word to use here is 'completely': a completely different result.

But see:
    Chelsea beat Spurs 7–0. Spurs were comprehensively beaten (no question, it was an extreme defeat)
    The score was 0–0. It was a thoroughly boring game. (it was extremely boring, all the way through)
    The Chelsea players were fantastic. Spurs were utterly outclassed. (The Chelse players were a million times better than the Spurs players)

Utterly. thoroughly and comprehensively express a big extreme.

You could use the three words more or less interchangeably in the above sentences.

< Previous | Next >