Those big movies around Fiftieth Street are cool

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
Hello everyone. I would like to know what "Those big movies around Fiftieth Street are cool" means in the following sentences:

Instinct made him step on the accelerator with the double purpose of overtaking Daisy and leaving Wilson behind, and we sped along toward Astoria at fifty miles an hour, until, among the spidery girders of the elevated, we came in sight of the easy-going blue coupe.
Those big movies around Fiftieth Street are cool,” suggested Jordan. “I love New York on summer afternoons when every one’s away. There’s something very sensuous about it — overripe, as if all sorts of funny fruits were going to fall into your hands.”

- F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby, Chapter 7

Tom, the driver at present, suddenly realized that both his wife and his mistress were to leave him--his wife to Gatsby, his mistress to the West. So he became very anxious and frantically followed the blue coupe that Gatsby and Daisy were driving. While Tom was driving, Jordan at the backseat suggested going to the movies, rather than driving on pointlessly in this heat. (It was described to be the hottest day in that summer.)

In this part, I could not grasp whether Jordan meant that the big movie theaters around Fiftieth Street were excellently built, or that the huge, blockbuster movies that were being shown around that area were very nice, or that the big movie theaters in that area were air-conditioned and chilled.
In short, I am having difficulty grasping the exact meaning of "movies" and "cool" in particular.

I would very much appreciate your help. :)

• Barque

Tamil
    that the big movie theaters in that area were air-conditioned and chilled.
    I don't know how common air-conditioning in commercial establishments was at that time, but if there'd just been talk of how hot it was, he probably meant it would be cool in the movie theatres.

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear Barque,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
    In fact, I was confused about the meaning of "cool" because later in this chapter another girl named Daisy rejects the suggestion of going to the movies saying that it was hot:

“Where are we going?” she [Daisy] cried.
    “How about the movies?”
    “It’s so hot,” she complained. “You go."

so I was not sure whether "cool" meant really "chilled," "air-conditioned."

Barque

Tamil
    “Where are we going?” she [Daisy] cried.
    “How about the movies?”
    “It’s so hot,” she complained. “You go."
    I think here she meant it was too hot to leave her house and go out. The movie theater might have been cool but the journey there would have been in hot weather.

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear Barque,

Thank you so much for the additional explanation.
    Oh, then I understand the quote as that the journey to the movie theaters was hot and she didn't want to make it, even though the theaters themselves were air-conditioned.
    Thank you very much always for patiently resolving all my doubts.
    I truly appreciate your help. :)

< Previous | Next >