Those that do profess to think about climate change volunteer stories about their latest solar panels

< Previous | Next >

zhang_bao_di

chinese
I am confused by the sentence.

Those that do profess to think about climate change volunteer stories about their latest solar panels or renewables contracts rather than the physical threat to their infrastructure.

I think the red part should be the subject,stories about is a verb phrase.
But I am confused which is the true subject.
Those means plural , stroies is singular?
Volunteer looks like a singular,is it true subject?,if so,what is the part before it?

• owlman5

English-US
    Perhaps this answer will help to clear up some of your confusion, zhang_bao_di. "Those" at the beginning of the sentence is a pronoun that refers to "those people who do profess to think about climate change."

owlman5

English-US
    Volunteer looks like a singular,is it true subject?,if so,what is the part before it?
    Perhaps you remain confused. I can't tell because you haven't made any other posts in this thread. I'll make another attempt here to answer your question meaningfully. Hopefully, you will have time to check in and tell people whether or not you have understood the answers to your question:

1. Those is indeed a plural pronoun. It refers to more than one person in the context of that sentence.

2. Stories is a plural noun. In the context of that sentence, the noun refers to more than one story that people tell about climate change. People volunteer different stories about things that have nothing to do with the damage that climate change causes to the infrastructure.

3. Volunteer is a plural verb, zhang_bao_di. It has been used correctly with the plural pronoun those to tell readers that people tell more than one story about climate change.

If you continue to have trouble in identifying the meaning and function of the words that you find in English sentences, you would do well to review or learn more English grammar. A basic understanding of grammar will aid you greatly as you attempt to read and understand any other sentences, paragraphs, journal articles or books in English.

Last edited:

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I am confused by the sentence.

Those that do profess to think about climate change volunteer stories about their latest solar panels or renewables contracts rather than the physical threat to their infrastructure.

I think the red part should be the subject,stories about is a verb phrase.
    What's your source, Zhang bao di? That use of 'do' in the opening is slightly unusual. For me, it would need justifying context.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    Subject -- verb -- object.
    For me, it would need justifying context.
    I can easily think of such context, but I do agree with Thomas.

zhang_bao_di

chinese
    I think I know what makes me confused,the word volunteer,I have considered it a noun.In this context,volunteer acts as a verb.

Those ... volunteer stories

volunteer means
    say or suggest something without being asked. or
    work for an organization without being paid

the whole paragraph is :
    Climate nonchalance pervades many a corner office.One Senior European oil executive says that he worries more about snow for his upcoming skiing holiday that he does about his company's rigs.Bosses have plenty of things on their minds-from trade wars and chinese hacking to AI and the future of work.Those that do profess to think about climate change volunteer stories about their latest solar panels or renewables contracts rather than the physical threat to their infrastructure. But recurrent droughts,floods,heatwaves and storms can all hurt-particularyly in a world of complex,just-in-time supply chains readily thrown out of whack.

I feel the sentence is uncomfortable.I don't know how to express.This sentence seems to have little relation with others under the context.And the volunteer aggrevated my confusiong.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The whole paragraph says "Top executives (senior people; bosses) are not worrying about near-future disasters". The bold sentence says those people don't talk about near-future disasters.

< Previous | Next >