those who were left behind by virtue of ongoing joblessness and/or stagnant wages

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Does "those who were left behind by virtue of ongoing joblessness and/or stagnant wages" refer to "those who were left behind by virtue of ongoing joblessness and/or stagnant wages (who elected Trump)"?

Research on economic voting suggests that recent economic events are most influential for voting (16, 17). Given all of the positive economic indicators, why would 2016 be ripe for an economic backlash? The most common explanation is that it is precisely those who did not recover from the Great Recession of 2008 who elected Trump, those who were left behind by virtue of ongoing joblessness and/or stagnant wages.

-PNAS

Source

• owlman5

English-US
    Yes, NA, the author tells us that the "most common explanation" for Trump's success is that the people who didn't recover from the recession of 2008 were a large percentage of the people who voted for Trump and ensured his victory during the last presidential election.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    If I wrote it, I would have written " that it is precisely those who did not recover from the Great Recession of 2008 and those who were left behind by virtue of ongoing joblessness and/or stagnant wages who elected Trump."

But I don't know whether it sounds natural to native English speakers.

Thank you. :)

owlman5

English-US
    The addition of "and" creates a little problem, NA. It leads the reader to believe that those who didn't recover from the recession were different from those who were left behind by ongoing joblessness and stagnant wages. I don't think the author wanted us to believe that.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    Okay. That is the nuance I wanted to know. Now I understand why the author didn't use "and" there. :)

lingobingo

English - England
    If you did want to tweak it, this might be better:

The most common explanation is that it is precisely those who did not recover from the Great Recession of 2008 who elected Trump — that is, those who were left behind by virtue of ongoing joblessness and/or stagnant wages.

< Previous | Next >