though less favorable to poor countries

< Previous | Next >

brandonkim

Korean-Korea
"We cannot conclude, therefore, that the present global institutional order, though less favorable to poor countries than it might be, is still favorable enough for all of them to do as well as the Asian tigers and China have in fact done."

I can't understand above sentence logic clearly.. otherwise, I may not understand the grammar..
If I understood above passage correctly, it can be rewritten as below...
but I do not see how such a logic can make sense. if something is less favorable, then, I think it should be for surely not favorable.
So although shouldn't be inserted in terms of logic....

Re written meaning by me : " Although the present global institutional order is less favorable to poor countries, it is not favorable enough to do as well as Asian tigers and China."

I assume that probably I did not understand the above writing very clearly either logic or grammar.... :(

• Uncle Jack

British English
    Where is this from?

I wonder if "them" actually refers to "poor countries", which are only mentioned in a parenthesis in this sentence. Reading it as "poor countries", I agree that it does not seem to make sense, but if might make sense if "them" refers to something else.

brandonkim

Korean-Korea
    Where is this from?

I wonder if "them" actually refers to "poor countries", which are only mentioned in a parenthesis in this sentence. Reading it as "poor countries", I agree that it does not seem to make sense, but if might make sense if "them" refers to something else.
    Below is the original passage. Could you kindly check if I take something wrong in terms of " them"?

<...> But this great success has had catastrophic effects in many poor countries by reducing their exporters' market shares and export prices. To be sure, the world economy as presently structured is not a constant-sum game, where any one player's gain must be another's loss. Yet outcomes are strongly interdependent. We cannot conclude, therefore, that the present global institutional order, though less favorable to poor countries than it might be, is still favorable enough for all of them to do as well as the Asian tigers and China have in fact done. <-----Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Last edited by a moderator:

Egmont

English - U.S.
    This is from Freedom from Poverty as a Human Right, a 2007 collection of papers edited by Thomas Pogge, who also wrote the chapter this is from. Please tell us where a quotation is from when you ask about it. That provides important context. In this case, the fact that the statement is 15 years old (or older) is important. It means:

The current global institutional order is not as favorable to poor countries as it could be.
    However, it is still good enough to them [poor countries] for them do as well as the Asian tigers and China.

Cross-posted.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    The basic structure of the sentence is:
    We cannot conclude that the present order is favorable enough to poor countries for them [the poor countries] to do as well as certain Asian countries have done.

In other words:
    It is possible that in the present order, poor countries cannot do as well as certain Asian countries have done.

Added:
    Owlman and Egmont have given good summaries of the part of the sentence after "we cannot conclude, therefore, that".
    The meaning of the sentence as a whole, including the first five words, is that poor countries probably cannot do as well as the Asian Tigers and China have done.

Last edited:

brandonkim

Korean-Korea
    You have misunderstood part of the original sentence, brandonkim.

"We cannot conclude, therefore, that the present global institutional order, though less favorable to poor countries than it might be, is still favorable enough for all of them to do as well as the Asian tigers and China have in fact done."

The phrase in bold text means that the present global institutional order is somewhat favorable to poor countries. It is favorable enough to poor countries to allow them them to do as well as the Asian tigers and China have done.

Like Uncle Jack, I am also asking you to provide the source of this quote. Who wrote the sentence? What is the title of the article or the book where you found it?
    Thanks for your comment. They are from high school reading material for students.

Ponyprof

Canadian English

I can't understand above sentence logic clearly.. otherwise, I may not understand the grammar..
    If I understood above passage correctly, it can be rewritten as below...
    but I do not see how such a logic can make sense. if something is less favorable, then, I think it should be for surely not favorable.
    So although shouldn't be inserted in terms of logic....

Re written meaning by me : " Although the present global institutional order is less favorable to poor countries, it is not favorable enough to do as well as Asian tigers and China."

I assume that probably I did not understand the above writing very clearly either logic or grammar.... :(
    "All of them" refers to "poor countries."

This sentence is complicated by starting with a "we cannot conclude" followed by a positive statement. We cannot conclude means "the following argument is wrong" or "I disagree with this position.'

The positive statement is:

The global institutional system is less favorable to poor countries than it should be. However, the system is still favorable enough for all poor countries to do as well as the Asian Tigers and China have done.

The author disagrees with this statement. The author thinks that the system is unfavorable to poor countries and they cannot achieve the success of the Asian Tigers and China

< Previous | Next >