though that may have been because they didn't see me

Vanloon

Hindi
Wonder

We followed Mr. Tushman down a few hallways. There weren't a lot of people around. And the few people who were there didn't seem to notice me at all, though that may have been because they didn't see me. I sort of hid behind Mom as I walked.

context: The hero in this book is 5th grade young boy and he has had very special face(in a negative way).
Q: I have no idea what does those phase (though that may have been) mean here.

Thanks.

• BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    'Though that may have been' means the possible reason they didn't see him was because he sort of hid behind his mother.

Vanloon

Hindi
    'Though that may have been' means the possible reason they didn't see him was because he sort of hid behind his mother.
    I cannot understand the structure of this sentence.

The Few people didn't seem....., thought that may have been because S + V + O
    Where is the 'complement' for the verb 'been'?

Vanloon

Hindi
    As a native speaker of long experience, I have no idea what this code means. I suggest you just replace though that may have been with "maybe."
    Oh...I see.

S = subject
    V = verb
    O = object
    C = compliment

EX) I am a doctor:
    I = S
    am = V
    doctor = C

I thought those abbreviations is common.

As a native speaker of long experience, I have no idea what this code means. I suggest you just replace though that may have been with "maybe."
    But 'been' is a be verb...so I think it has to have a compliment...Could you tell me where is it?

sdgraham

USA English
    I thought those abbreviations is common.
    Perhaps they are to somebody, but I got through university and a career as an editor without having to deal with them.
    It seems to me that learners often are saddled with details never encountered by native speakers.
    It also seems to be a failing of the ESL community not to communicate that to their students.

Vanloon

Hindi
    Perhaps they are to somebody, but I got through university and a career as an editor without having to deal with them.
    It seems to me that learners often are saddled with details never encountered by native speakers.
    It also seems to be a failing of the ESL community not to communicate that to their students.
    I wish I'm not bothering you. Thanks for correcting me! Anyway, Could you tell me Where is the compliment for the 'be' verb?

Vanloon

Hindi
    I wish I'm not bothering you. Thanks for correcting me! Anyway, Could you tell me Where is the compliment for the 'be' verb?
    I think,
    Let’s say if there is a sentence “I am” Rather than “ I am” on student I think it is incorrect.

sdgraham

USA English
    "I am on student" makes no sense to me.
    Are you trying to tell us that the famous statement by philosopher René Descartes, "I think therefore I am" is incorrect in your mind. :confused: :confused:

< Previous | Next >