though

Dymn

Though in English can be used to insert a contrast to a previously mentioned fact, similar to "however" but at the end of a sentence.

For example: It's hard work. I enjoy it, though.

Are there any ways to place this contrastive conjunction to the end of a sentence in your language?

In Catalan, you can use either:
  • però ("but", often just pronounced prò). És una feinada. M'agrada, però.
  • per això ("for this", often just pronounced per'xò). This one is tricky because in most other contexts without the comma pause it means "that's why", which might look paradoxal, but it's never unambiguous if you pay attention to the spelling.
    • És una feinada. M'agrada, per això. [same as the example]
    • És una feinada. M'agrada per això. [Being hard work is the reason why I like it; not very natural but you get the idea]

Last edited:
  • TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
    In Italian you can use "però" [peˈrɔ] (but, though) in a similar fashion.
    - È un lavoro duro / pesante / difficile / ... . Mi piace, però.

"Però" is one of the most common markers of contrast, along with "ma", which however cannot be placed at the end of the sentence*. There might be more linkers of contrast with some liberty of movement, but "però" is definitely the most widely used.

*It cannot be placed at the end of the sentence to express contrast, but in other contexts it might appear in that position.

Sardokan1.0

Sardu / Italianu
    In Sardinian it's can be put at the end, but adding an element. Example, the English "though / however / even if" can be translated as "mancàri"; but if I say "mancàri gai" (gai = so), it can be put at the end of the phrase in the way you said. It could be compared with the English "even so".

It's hard work. I enjoy it, though - Est unu tribagliu diffìtzile. Mi piàghet, mancàri gai.

I can also reverse the phrase, putting it at the beginning, but in this case, after "mancàri" I must use the subjunctive present.

Mancàri sìet unu tribagliu diffìtzile, mi piàghet.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    This is possible in Palestinian Arabic but not in Modern Standard Arabic.

Palestinian Arabic:

الشغل صعب. حلو بس. :tick:
    iš-šuġol ṣiʿeb. ḥilu bas.
    the-work hard. nice but

Modern Standard Arabic:

العمل شاق. يعجبني لكن. :cross:
    al-ʿamalu šāqqun. yuʿjibuni lākin.
    the-work strenuous. pleases-me but

Circunflejo

Castellano de Castilla
    In Spanish, it isn't usual but you can say:
    • Es un trabajo duro. Me gusta, sin embargo.
    • Es un trabajo duro. Me gusta, no obstante.
    • Es un trabajo duro. Me gusta, empero.
    In an area of Perú, pero is still used like in Italian or Catalan (for more info take a look at the 31.10u at:RAE::NUEVA GRAMÁTICA):
    • Es un trabajo duro. Me gusta, pero.

apmoy70

Greek
    In Greek it can be placed either at the beginning of the sentence or at the end of it e.g:

«Είναι δύσκολη δουλειά, όμως μ' αρέσει» [ˈine ˈðis.kɔ.li ðuˈʎa ˈɔm.ɔs maˈɾe.si] --> it's a difficult job, yet I like it or «είναι δύσκολη δουλειά, μ' αρέσει όμως» [ˈine ˈðis.kɔ.li ðuˈʎa maˈɾe.si ˈɔm.ɔs] --> it's a difficult job, I like it though.

The MoGr conjunction is «όμως» [ˈɔ.mɔs] --> though, however < Classical adv. «ὅμως» hómōs --> yet, nevertheless < adj. «ὁμός, -ός, -όν» hŏmós (masc. & fem.), hŏmón (neut.) --> common, one and the same, equal, similar, level (PIE *som-h₂-o- same, equal cf Skt. सम (samá), same, equal, Proto-Slavic *samъ, self, Proto-Germanic *samaz, same).

JClaudeK

Français France, Deutsch (SW-Dtl.)
    In German, it's possible:
    Es gefällt mir, trotz allem.

In French, too. (To put it at the end is even normal.)
    Ça me plait malgré tout. / Ça me plait, malgré tout.

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
    INteresting observation. I suppose though that "though"'s meaning has shifted from a lexical adverb to a conjunction, but I must admit that etymonline.org suggests that from the very beginning the form could be used both as an adv. and as a conj. We cannot use the same word because we do not have the same form for a subordinate concessional conj. and an adv., except for doch/ toch, i.e. coordinate conj./ adv.

We can/ *cannot say the following:

though he was ill: hoewel hij ziek is[how-well, like bien-que]/ *toch hij ziek is
    yet he is ill ... Toch/ *hoewel is hij ziek. ... doch hij is ziek [= but]
    [ADV + inversion vs. CONJ + main clause word order]

He'll be there though ... Hij zal er wel zijn [reassuring]/ toch zijn [= yet, NOT though, I think]

JClaudeK

Français France, Deutsch (SW-Dtl.)
    I hear a lot of "par contre" at the end, but maybe not written down.
    You're right, it's mostly spoken French.
    Written down, "en revanche" is better.

But in this contexte
    C'est un travail vraiment difficile. Je l'aime, par contre.
    neither "par contre" nor "en revanche" fits very well, IMO. (Meaning: "on the other hand")

< Previous | Next >