thought of him while playing football

navi

Banned
armenian
1-I thought of him while playing football.

Does this mean:
a--I thought of him while I was playing football.
b--I thought of his playing football.
c--The sentence is ambiguous.

I am sure that 1 can mean a. If I mean b, then I might use 'I thought of him playing football.' (technically even this is ambiguous but generally it means b).

• navi

Banned
    armenian
    Thank Cuchuflete and Sound Shift.

Another question if I may:

Can one say:

2-I thought of him as he was playing football.
    3-I thought of as him playing football.
    meaning:
    I thought of him playing football.

I think 2 could mean "As he was playing football, I thought of him." and the 'structure' used in 3 would generally be used in sentences such as "I thought of him as being a kind man" or "I thought of him as standing in my way". But I wonder if these sentences could be used in this way.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    1-I thought of him while playing football.
    I agree it means a,and I don't find it ambiguous, but I am more likely to say "while I was playing football" or while he was playing football so maybe that's to avoid any misunderstanding.

I was thinking/ I thought/ I am thinking of him playing football would mean the same as b.: he is the one playing football.

I don't feel up to discussing the difference between 'his playing' and 'him playing' and others will do it much better ! :)

Cheers
    Hermie

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Thank Cuchuflete and Sound Shift.

Another question if I may:

Can one say:

2-I thought of him as he was playing football.
    3-I thought of as him playing football.
    meaning:
    I thought of him playing football.

I think 2 could mean "As he was playing football, I thought of him." and the 'structure' used in 3 would generally be used in sentences such as "I thought of him as being a kind man" or "I thought of him as standing in my way". But I wonder if these sentences could be used in this way.
    2-I thought of him as he was playing football. No. This means that while he was playing footbal I thought of him. It might also mean what you have suggested, but that is less likely and would require surrounding context to make it clear.
    3-I thought of as him playing football. I think you've made an unintentional error in the way you wrote this sentence. It is meaningless as stated.

navi

Banned
    armenian
    Thanks.

You are quite right Cuchuflete. I meant to write:
    3-I thought of him as playing football.

Sorry.

< Previous | Next >