Thread the needle

Hockey13

AmEnglish/German
There is an entry in the it-en dictionary for this, but I just want to be sure I'm using it properly. La mia prova:

If I could thread the needle like Alexander Ovechkin, I would score more goals than can be counted by modern mathematics.

Se io potessi infiliare l'ago come Alexander Ovechkin, acquisterei più punti che può essere calcolato con moderna matematica.

Grazie di nuovo e scusa le mie frasi strane, per favore!

• _forumuser_

Italian
    There is an entry in the it-en dictionary for this, but I just want to be sure I'm using it properly. La mia prova:

If I could thread the needle like Alexander Ovechkin, I would score more goals than can be counted by modern mathematics.

Se io potessi infiliare l'ago come Alexander Ovechkin, acquisterei più punti che può essere calcolato con moderna matematica.

The metaphor doesn't work in Italian. What do you mean here, to be extra-precise?

Hockey13

AmEnglish/German
    The metaphor doesn't work in Italian. What do you mean here, to be extra-precise?
    Alexander Ovechkin is a fantastic hockey player. Threading the needle in hockey means to be able to put the puck exactly where he wants to put it. It usually means that he is a great passer and can pass the puck under sticks, through legs, and everything else that might be in the way to get the puck over to his teammate.

_forumuser_

Italian

Se la potessi mettere/infilare dove voglio come Alexander Ovechkin, farei più goal (or gol) di quanti la moderna matematica ci consente/consenta di contare (di quanti se ne possano contare con la moderna matematica).

In sports (football) the phrase "x la mette/puo' mettere dove vuole" (he can put it wherever he pleases) is used in a similar sense. Perhaps others have better ideas.

< Previous | Next >