three binding instruments typically provide a mandate for Post-Legislative Scrutiny

Arab - Morocco
Hi everybody,

Could you, please, give me the Arabic translation of the following sentence:

"At the time of passing of the bill, three binding instruments typically provide a mandate for Post-Legislative Scrutiny: ministerial undertakings, review clauses in legislation or sunset clauses"

Thank you in advance

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
Tell us what exactly you are having trouble with. Make an attempt and maybe we can try to help you with the attempt.

Arab - Morocco
Ok.

What do you think of the following translation:

عند تمرير مشروع القانون، تكون هناك عادةً ثلاثة عناصر ملزمة للقيام بالتدقيق ما بعد التشريع وهي: تعهدات الوزراء أو بنود المراجعة في التشريعات أو بنود البطلان التلقائي

What about بند الانقضاء instead of البطلان التلقائي ?
عند تمرير مشروع القانون، عادةً ما توفر ثلاث بنود ملزمة ضمانا من أجل القيام بالتدقيق ما بعد التشريع وهي: التعهدات الوزارية, بنود المراجعة في التشريع أو بند الانقضاء

jack_1313

English - Australian
The sentence is packed with jargon, so it's best to include whatever context you can in your post so that we can pinpoint what phrases like "ministerial undertakings" and "provide a mandate" actually mean:
• First, at some point during the passage of the bill, ministers of the executive may be asked to make a commitment (ministerial undertaking) to conduct a review of legislation, indicating what it should cover and when.
• Alternatively, as a second option, MPs could table amendments during the passage of a bill which seek to insert a review clause. Review clauses require the operation of the act or part of the act to be reviewed after a specified time.
Under a sunset clause an act or provision automatically ceases in its effect after a certain time, unless another criterion is met, e.g. a review that keeps it in place.
Source: https://www.wfd.org/wp-content/uplo...-Post-Legislative-Scrutiny-by-Parliaments.pdf

I think you're translation is fine. I might write:
عند تمرير مشروع القانون، توجد ثلاث أدوات ملزمة عادة ما تفرض التدقيق ما بعد التشريع، ألا وهي التعهدات من قبل وزراء وبنود المراجعة والبنود التي تقضي ببطلان القانون بعد انقضاء فترة محددة
Be careful about where you place عادةً. Your translation implies that these three "instruments" are usually all present (edit: although perhaps not given that you've used أو and not و), but I'm not sure that's what the English is suggesting. Also, if you are also translating the section I quoted, then it might not be necessary to fully explain the term "sunset clause" as I have here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arab - Morocco
نعم "بند الانقضاء" كذلك ترجمة ممكنة لكن الزبون لم يقبلها للأسف لا أدري لماذا وطلب مني أن أبحث عن ترجمة أفضل.

لماذا اقترحت "عادةً ما توفر ثلاث بنود ملزمة ضمانا
لا تعني ضمانا Mandate
I think you're translation is fine. I might write:
عند تمرير مشروع القانون، توجد ثلاث أدوات ملزمة عادة ما تفرض التدقيق ما بعد التشريع، ألا وهي التعهدات من قبل وزراء وبنود المراجعة والبنود التي تقضي ببطلان القانون بعد انقضاء فترة محددة
Be careful about where you place عادةً. Your translation says implies that these three "instruments" are usually all present, but I'm not sure that's what the English is suggesting. Also, if you are also translating the section I quoted, then it might not be necessary to fully explain the term "sunset clause" as I have here.
Thank you very much

لماذا اقترحت "عادةً ما توفر ثلاث بنود ملزمة ضمانا
لا تعني ضمانا Mandate
تأرجحت افكاري بين "ضمان و تفويض" فظننت ان "ضمان" افضل بحسب السياق
على أي, انصح باقتراح "جاك" هو الاجدر بالمساعة في المصطلحات التشريعية

Arab - Morocco
Here is my refined version:

عند تمرير مشروع القانون، تكون هناك ثلاثة عناصر ملزمة عادة ما تفرض القيام بالتدقيق ما بعد التشريع وهي :تعهدات الوزراء أو بنود المراجعة في التشريعات أو بنود البطلان التلقائي.

I think عناصر is better than أدوات in the Arabic context
تأرجحت افكاري بين "ضمان و تفويض" فظننت ان "ضمان" افضل بحسب السياق
على أي, انصح باقتراح "جاك" هو الاجدر بالمساعة في المصطلحات التشريعية
شكرا جزيلا

jack_1313

English - Australian
هو الاجدر بالمساعة في المصطلحات التشريعية
I wouldn't necessarily say so :p

I'm not sure why you prefer this phrasing as it's a calque from English. Arabic has a native way to express the concept of "there are": توجد.

I think عناصر is better than أدوات in the Arabic context
أدوات is very commonly used for this meaning in law and politics, but you could also consider آليات. As for عناصر, I'm not convinced it fits very well with ملزمة (binding elements/factors?). But use whatever you think is best - the overall meaning is clear enough.

بنود البطلان التلقائي
The only issue I have with this is that it doesn't necessarily mean that the law loses effect after a period of time. But as I said earlier, if your translation also includes the exploratory explanatory text that I quoted, then a little opacity in this term isn't really a problem.

Edit: I should read what I write before posting.

Last edited:

elroy

Imperfect Mod
US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
ثلاثة عناصر ملزمة عادة ما تفرض القيام بالتدقيق
This sounds unnecessarily verbose to me. Why not just

ثلاثة عناصر عادةً ما تُلزم بالتدقيق

?