three course meal

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Maricles, Nov 11, 2005.

  1. Maricles Member

    Querétaro, México
    Hi there,

    What does the phrase "a three course meal" mean?
  2. elroy

    elroy Motley mod

    Chicago, IL
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    A meal composed of three servings - usually appetizer, entree, and dessert.
  3. E-J

    E-J Senior Member

    Cambridgeshire, UK
    England, English
    In British English we'd call the three courses:

    starter (also known as "entrée")
    main course
    dessert (or "pudding" or "sweet")
  4. Brioche

    Brioche Senior Member

    Australia English
    In Britain, a 3 course meal could be
    main course,

    An important difference between BE and AE is that
    in the US, the entree is the main course.

    In France, Britain, Australia, &c an entree is a small course served after the soup and before the main course.
    Some restaurants will offer a choice of fish or meat entree.
    Some really grand dinners will serve soup, fish, entree, main course, dessert.

    Many restaurants will offer the same dish as either an entree size (smaller size) or main course size (full size).
    This would make no sense at all to an American.
  5. cirrus

    cirrus Senior Member

    Crug Hywel
    UK English
    So now maybe Americans get an idea for what it's like for other native English speakers when they land in America? Sad but true: I've been reduced to speaking Spanish to get questions answered and make myself understood - my English accent blew way too many texan circuits and when it came down to stuff like this life started becoming laughably complex.
  6. GenJen54

    GenJen54 Senior Member

    Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    In certain restaurants, mainly French restaurants, "entrée" is used to describe what most Americans know as an appetizer. In this case, their menu follows the "European" model.

Share This Page