'three-fold' perspective:

breskva

Polish
Hello!

I'm writing an essay presenting the topic as seen by three different groups of people - so there are three different points of view. Can I say (e.g. in the title) that the essay is "a three-fold perspective on the topic..."? Would the word three-fold be correct in that context? (By the way, is the hyphen in the word three-fold necessary?)

Thanks a lot.

• shawnee

English - Australian
    It might help to know a little more about the work. Is it a creative piece or some other form? This will determine how explicit the terms of the title will need to be.

sdgraham

USA English
    "Threefold" has the connotation, at least in some uses, of meaning three times something.

I would not try to be fancy. I would just call it "Three perspectives ... " and leave it there, where there's no question as to applicability.

frostypotter

NYC
    English
    "Threefold" has the connotation, at least in some uses, of meaning three times something.

I would not try to be fancy. I would just call it "Three perspectives ... " and leave it there, where there's no question as to applicability.
    I completely agree. "Threefold" should be left to quantifiable nouns that are being compared to each other. You might opt for "multifaceted" or "three-part perspective" in your title. Also, I have been taught the hyphen would be necessary for "three-part" or other such combination or words as it is a hierarchical combination of two adjectives describing a single noun. This might help with the hyphenation issue.

< Previous | Next >