three patterns of pears

Eygam

Czech
Hello,

I came across this sentence in a short story and I just can't understand what the expression means (I know all the words, they just don't make sense to me together):

The awning of the store was a sweet blue-and-white gingham and sure enough, there were huge tables burgeoning with fruit: vivid clementines, golden apples, dark plums, swollen peaches, three patterns of yellow and brown pears.

Thank you.

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I've never seen or heard "patterns" to mean varieties of fruit. Can you tell us where you saw this sentence, Eygam? (Title and author of the story. Please add a link, too, if it's online.)

For the moment, it seems to me the sunlight is being filtered down through the patterns of the striped awning, and it just so happens the "shadow patters of the awning stripes" are mostly hitting the pears. Perhaps a "word-image?" I know some writers will sometimes try to translate the images of impressionistic paintings into text phrases. Just an idea.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I suspect that the reference is to patterns made by the way that the fruit was laid out:

< Previous | Next >