three times more than

Akasaka

Japanese
Hello members,
I am wondering which of the following two sentences is correct.

The report says that the medicines sold in this country are three times more than the ones sold in other countries.
The report says that the medicines sold in this country are three times more expensive than the ones sold in other countries.

Thanks in advance.

• Piyush toplani

Hindi
    It depends upon the context that determines which one is correct ,and You haven't given any context yet ;so please give some.

The second phrase "3 times more expensive than" simply indicates more expensiveness of the medicines rather than amount of medicine that first phrase means.
    I hope it'll help you..:)

Last edited:

suzi br

English / England
    Hello members,
    I am wondering which of the following two sentences is correct.

The report says that the medicines sold in this country are three times more than the ones sold in other countries.
    The report says that the medicines sold in this country are three times more expensive than the ones sold in other countries.

Thanks in advance.

The first one could mean the same as the second. English natives often use “more” or “less” to denote relative costs/prices without mentioning the noun if the context makes it clear.
    However, the second one is absolutely clear.

In the first one you could swap “are” out and put “cost” in. That would be very idiomatic.

PS. I don’t agree with post #2. The word order in your first sentence sample does not really suggest a meaning related to quantity.

Piyush toplani

Hindi
    The first one could mean the same as the second. English natives often use “more” or “less” to denote relative costs/prices without mentioning the noun if the context makes it clear.
    However, the second one is absolutely clear.

In the first one you could swap “are” out and put “cost” in. That would be very idiomatic.

PS. I don’t agree with post #2. The word order in your first sentence sample does not really suggest a meaning related to quantity.
    Sorry for my mistake, I misunderstood the first sentence in the original post.