Thriller and thrilling

< Previous | Next >

domino_77

italian
Hello,

I'm confused about the meaning of the word "thrilling". I need to create a list of adjectives that describe the feelings you have when watching a movie, and thinking of thrillers and suspense horrors, I naturally came up with the word "thrilling". But then I went to check the definition on Wordreference and I found: "a sudden feeling of excitement and pleasure": I would not say that the feeling you have watching a horror movie is "pleasure"... So can I use it in this context, or can you think of anything else?

Thank you!

Giovanni

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Some people would consider watching a horror film does give them pleasurable fear! ;) So you could use thrilling​.

EDIT
    (Looking at ewie's post. Yes, you have to say 'The film is thrilling' if you want to use the word. In other words, the film thrills you.)

Last edited:

ewie

English English
    Hullo Giovanni. Note that thrilling doesn't describe a feeling people have when they're watching movies: that would be thrilled. Thrilling is what the movies themselves are (occasionally):)

natkretep

The same. You'd say the film was exciting or suspenseful (I might also say: excitement-causing or suspense-generating - but I won't recommend these :p).

domino_77

italian
    ok, last question :)

I have to be specific, because this is the list that users wil use to score a movie -> the system will automatically update the user profile, and the movie profile as well... The more specific it will be, the more precise will be the suggestions (through an algorithm that will calculate the match between users and movies)

But on the other hand I do not want to confuse the users with adjectives that mean the same thing and I want to keep it extremely simple and quick :confused:

So, based on this, do you think users will find a difference between Exciting, Suspenseful, Thrilling, even if just subtle or technical, or can I simply cancel 2 of them and keep just one?

Thank you!

natkretep

Exciting and thrilling are similar. Suspenseful is more specific. Suspense is to do with withheld or delayed information.

ewie

English English
    Exciting and thrilling are similar. Suspenseful is more specific. Suspense is to do with withheld or delayed information.
    :thumbsup: If anyone British is going to be using this thing, Domino, I'd recommend exciting rather than thrilling. Here the latter word is so often used ironically (to mean 'deadly boring') that ... well, I just wouldn't use it in a questionnaire of any kind.

domino_77

italian
    I'd recommend exciting rather than thrilling. Here the latter word is so often used ironically (to mean 'deadly boring') that ... well, I just wouldn't use it in a questionnaire of any kind.
    interesting point...

pwmeek

English - American
    Thrilling, when used to mean thrilling in a horrible way, might be replaced by chilling. The same elevated heartbeat and excitement, but motivated by fear.

Jam on toast

UK
    British English
    Is CHILLING exactly the same os SCARY?
    Hi Domino,

Good question! The answer is no, they're not exactly the same. Chilling (in it's fear-inducing form) suggests things sinister or evil. I suspect there's some link with the concept of a shiver going down your spine. Anyway, you might have something that's scary but not chilling, for example a rollercoaster ride or a dangerous car chase.

So, I'd say "chilling" is a good adjective for your scoring system!

toway

Russian
    It is very interesting to seek for a suitable word for your algorithm, Domino. For this purpose I can suggest one of the adjective that Wikipedia uses for description of thrillers: "adrenaline-rushing". I think it's quite sharp for thriller's definition.

domino_77

italian
    It is very interesting to seek for a suitable word for your algorithm, Domino. For this purpose I can suggest one of the adjective that Wikipedia uses for description of thrillers: "adrenaline-rushing". I think it's quite sharp for thriller's definition.
    Thank you Toway, good suggestion. I think that "adrenaline-rushing" is probably connected more to action movies, so I will consider it primarily for that

domino_77

italian
    I don't want to abuse too much of your patience, but here is the list I've come up with... I really think it is a good one, what about you? I think that with it you can give a quite clear idea of what virtually any kind of movie is about (and what the taste of virtually any user is). It also has to be as short as possible, so I can not add as many adjectives as I want :) And it has to be as far as possible from confusing and messy to the the users' eyes.

Unconventional(Arthouse and offbeat)
    Stylised and atmospheric(Movies with a strong visual impact thanks to their style, elegance, or to the beauty of the images)
    For a relaxing thoughtless evening
    Highly imaginative(Sci-Fi and Fantasy, on example)
    Classic of all times
    Cult
    Great screenplay
    Very good actors
    Very good director
    Unforgettable soundtrack
    Full of action
    Full of violence
    Fast-paced and entertaining
    Slow and contemplative
    Twisted plot
    Look-below-the-surface
    Unexpected ending
    Politically or socially committed
    Thought provoking
    Informative
    Funny(Comedies, spoof, splatter…)
    Touching(Tear-jerkers, tragedy…)
    Inspiring(Movies that animate your spirit and elevate you morally)
    Exciting(Movies that give you the thrill)
    Suspenseful
    Scary
    Chilling(a scary feeling usually related to something evil or supernatural)
    Gory
    Sensual
    Containing uncut Scenes

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >