throat ache or sore throat

diminished7th

Farsi
So which one do you use in daily life to describe the "throat ache" caused by having cold?

For example do you say like "I had this throat ache in the last week"?
or it doesn't sound natural?
and what would you rather say instead?

Thanks

PS. or maybe I had this pain in my throat....

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    I would use your other subject-line choice: sore throat. As you guess, throat ache does not sound natural.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    I would use your other subject-line choice: sore throat. As you guess, throat ache does not sound natural.

Dear Mr.Copy.

I also have a question about this topic. I've used and heard people use this term "Sore throat" for years, perhaps when I was an elementary school student. My question is:

The other day I caught a cold and a few days later my mom asked me if I felt better, I told her:

My throat is hurting. (I want to describe the sensation that when I swallow, my throat feels painful.)

Do I still need to stick with this:

I have a sore throat.
    My throat is sore.

Thanks a lot

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    Because the condition is a continuing one (as I understand it), the word still should be used:

My throat is still hurting.
    I still have a sore throat.

Myridon

English - US
    If someone stabs you in the neck, you might have throat pain. If you have thyroid tumor, you might have throat pain. If a mosquito bites you on the adam's apple, you might have throat pain.
    A sore throat is a pain caused by inflamed tissues in the back of your mouth from an infection or sinus drainage.

D.Burton

Spanish-Spain
    If someone stabs you in the neck, you might have throat pain. If you have thyroid tumor, you might have throat pain. If a mosquito bites you on the adam's apple, you might have throat pain.
    A sore throat is a pain caused by inflamed tissues in the back of your mouth from an infection or sinus drainage.
    I get it. Thank you very much!