throughout [abbreviated form like 'thru'?]

< Previous | Next >

vallapereza86

UK English/Español ES
Hi, this may be a bit of a strange question, but I see that Americans tend to write 'through' as 'thru', is there an equivalent for 'throughout'?
thanks

• sandpiperlily

Hi, this may be a bit of a strange question, but I see that Americans tend to write 'through' as 'thru', is there an equivalent for 'throughout'?
    thanks
    Just to be clear, writing "thru" is very informal, for text messages, written notes, emails to friends, etc. This is not an accepted abbreviation for formal writing.

I'm not aware of any equivalent abbreviation for throughout.

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    President Theodore Roosevelt (1901–1909) promoted a spelling reform that include "thru" for "through," "tho" for "though," "altho" for "although," etc. It did not catch on. "Thru" is not a standard American spelling of "through"; unlike words like programme/program and mediæval/medieval, the spelling of "through" is the same in American English as in non-American English.

Although "through" is sometimes abbreviated "thru" for commercial and advertising effects, including as a prefix (as in the limited access highway in New York State called the "Thruway"), I don't think I've seen "thruout," probably because of the bizarre vowel cluster that it would have.

JamesM

I agree with the others. I just wanted to add that "throughout" is a fairly formal word in itself. Someone going for economy of words and casual speech/text would probably choose another word, in my experience.

vallapereza86

UK English/Español ES
    ah, thanks for clearing that up for me.
    I'd seen road signs with 'thru' on them, and informal communication, but wasn't sure just how widespread it was.
    cheers

< Previous | Next >