throughway, turnpike


Senior Member

I'd like to know what's the name for a throughway or a turnpike in BE? I'm talking about roads (basically, high-speed roads) where we pay a toll to go on. As far as I know, these two words are AmE and do not refer to a toll road in BE.
Any help?

  • sudexpress

    Senior Member
    Thanks Panjandrum, you're always there to answer everything, no matter what subject. I appreciate that. I guess that makes 21,950 posts. ;)

    I should write more explanatory first posts to start with. I did suspect toll road was the word because I've been searching through the Internet for a while and I came accross with...
    Et voilà, that's it, the same you were talking about.