throw a sickie

MateuszMoś

Hello,

I have been having a lot of problems explaining the exact meaning of the expression. I have checked it a couple of times to reassure myself that I know the meaning well, however, as it turned out, I don't.
Does "throw a sickie" involve any appointment with a doctor and feigning the illness? Or, does it involve just calling -a couple of hours before turning up at work- your boss/manager and telling lies about your health at the very moment?

• Copperknickers

Scotland - Scots and English
    Hello,

I have been having a lot of problems explaining the exact meaning of the expression. I have checked it a couple of times to reassure myself that I know the meaning well, however, as it turned out, I don't.
    Does "throw a sickie" involve any appointment with a doctor and feigning the illness? Or, does it involve just calling -a couple of hours before turning up at work- your boss/manager and telling lies about your health at the very moment?
    That really depends on what a given workplace requires for allowing staff to have sick days. I imagine some workplaces probably do require a doctor's note.

Andygc

British English
    I would ask for a note to a sickie type.
    Given that it's a BE term, BE sick pay legislation and employment law are relevant. Employees self-certify sickness absence of up to 7 days. Employers may ask for sick notes earlier, but at the risk of a dispute with a trade union or possible litigation.

But that's wandering away from the language question. :)

< Previous | Next >