throw a wingding at us

< Previous | Next >

Hien Pham

Vietnamese
Hi,

I'm just wondering if the phrase "throw a wingding at us as below context is showing "fit of anger" or "throw a party"?

- Where's Montoya?
- They say he put in for days after the wingding that Murphy threw us.

Murphy used to fly with Montoya but after that wingding that Murphy threw us, Murphy has another new guy to fly with him on the airship (from movie "Blue thunder.").

Thank you in advance!

• kentix

English - U.S.
    They say he put in for days after the wingding that Murphy threw us.

I think this is what the sentence means:

They say he asked for some days off (from work) after the big party that Murphy threw for us.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Note that he did not throw the wingding at us (as you have in the title of the thread), but instead threw it for us. To "throw" a party means to serve as host, and to be responsible for the expenses. When he threw the party, Murphy provided the location, food, drinks, music, etc.

Hien Pham

Vietnamese
    Note that he did not throw the wingding at us (as you have in the title of the thread), but instead threw it for us. To "throw" a party means to serve as host, and to be responsible for the expenses. When he threw the party, Murphy provided the location, food, drinks, music, etc.
    I got what you mean, GreenWhiteBlue. Thanks for pointing out and correcting my mistake. It should be "for", not "at".

Hien Pham

Vietnamese
    They say he put in for days after the wingding that Murphy threw us.

I think this is what the sentence means:

They say he asked for some days off (from work) after the big party that Murphy threw for us.
    Thank you, kentix. But the previous lines said that Montoya is on days. So, I guess he is working in day shifts. If I am not correct, please let me know. Thank you.

kentix

English - U.S.
    That makes sense, too. "Put in for days" in that context means he asked to be switched from the night shift to the day shift.

< Previous | Next >