"Throw away" when no rubbish bin is involved

< Previous | Next >

Mike Anakin

Spanish- Spain
Hi, I would like to know if I can say to a child "throw it away" when I just mean "throw it (wherever he wants, usually onto the floor, a short distance). I doubt because in the dictionary I find it means only "put it in the rubbish bin" or similar ideas that mean you want to get rid of it.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    in the dictionary I find it means only "put it in the rubbish bin" or similar ideas that mean you want to get rid of it.
    The dictionary is wrong. To throw away = to dispose of. It does not say where you should dispose of the object - that decision is left to the speaker and listener.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I would just use "throw it" if you are telling a child to throw a ball, toy, etc.
    :thumbsup:

"Throw the ball to me." - "Propel the ball through the air so that it comes to me."
    "Throw the ball." = "Propel the ball through the air: it does not matter where it goes."
    is not the same as
    "Throw the ball away." = Dispose of the ball.

Mike Anakin

Spanish- Spain
    OK, I'll say just "throw" then I guess. I thought away could also reinforce the idea of throwing it without conveying the idea that you don't want to see that object again. Thanks.

Mike Anakin

Spanish- Spain
    I just wanted an easy word for a toddler and "away" was quite catchy. More than "throw", at least for him, hehe.

No dictionary that I saw says "rubbish bin", I added that as a synonym for dispose of.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    No dictionary that I saw says "rubbish bin", I added that as a synonym for dispose of.
    You haven't probably been to India! :DOtherwise you would know how we dispose of household waste and all other kind of waste all the time without using any dutbins/trash cans -- we just throw it away, and the laws of gravity decide the rest. :oops:

Packard

USA, English
    Throw that away = put that in a refuse container

Drop it = let the item fall to the floor.

Mike Anakin

Spanish- Spain
    That could work srk. Thanks. But I wonder, since my toddler still says only single words.. If I say just "away!" what would that mean for a native person?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    A very small child doesn't know that "throw it away" isn't all one word:).

The child will probably appreciate the rhythm of the phrase, especially if you say it in a sing-song tone of voice, with the emphasis on "throw".

< Previous | Next >