throw off the calibration

NewAmerica

Mandarin
It seems to me that "throw off the calibration" mean "deviate from the calibration." But what is the suitable definition in our dictionary? "To confuse/fluster"? "Throw off" sounds the one-off behavior while "deviate from" appears to be a gradual process. I am not sure.

Your battery indicator shows a cool 40 percent and then suddenly, it's dead.

With older iPhones, it's a common problem -- years of use throw off the calibration while the battery's capacity dwindles. We're talking about the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus, though -- these phones haven't even had their half-birthdays.

The issue, according to Apple, is that the battery percentage just isn't updating.

-cnet

Source

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    It seems to me that "throw off the calibration" mean "deviate from the calibration."
    No. "Calibration" is a process, not a number. To "throw it off" means to make it function incorrectly.

For example, my iPhone battery is designed to supply 6.3 volts (+/- 0.1 volt) to the phone. Every time the phone is turned on, it performs a battery calibration, which sets the battery output to 6.3 volts.

But a strong magnetic field, or a bug, or (as the quote says) years of use might "throw off this calibration", so that now it sets the batttery output to 5.9 volts (instead of the correct 6.3).

Last edited:

The pianist

English - US
    Calibrate the meter indicator so that at 50% battery charge, the meter reads 50% remaining. Anything different and the meter is said to be biased. A deviation from the calibration results from a throwing off of the calibration. This sounds like a 'scale factor' problem. There is something wrong with the scaling from accurate battery charge to meter reading. The scaling appears to be time variable.

< Previous | Next >