throw one's hair (instead of 'hat') in the ring

• sdgraham

USA English
    I think you mean "I saw ..." or "I see..." since this is the only occurrence you mention, but it appears to be an attempt at humor, based on the photo, by making a pun out of the "hat in the ring" cliché.

Note that the article is slanted against Bernie Sanders and not a legitimate piece of journalism.

sdgraham

USA English
    I'm not familiar with "PJMedia" and since "hair" does not appear in the body of the text, it could have been inflicted upon the reader by a headline writer, rather than the writer of the opinion piece.
    In American newspapers, for example, reporters seldom --if ever -- write the headlines.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Is this use of 'hair' common?
    Attempts to 'adapt' well-known phrases or sayings for humorous effect are rarely successful enough to become common and that one certainly isn't. I definitely wouldn't recommend trying to emulate it. :eek:

JungKim

Korean
    I think you mean "I saw ..." or "I see..." since this is the only occurrence you mention,...
    Well, that's why I said "as in this article".
    I do remember seeing 'hat' used in a news article (or perhaps hearing 'hat' used in a TV news report) when Trump announced he would not run for president in 2012, so...

< Previous | Next >