throw to someone vs throw for someone

< Previous | Next >

baab

Vietnamese
life bouy (n)
a large ring made out of material that floats, which you throw to someone who has fallen in the water, to prevent them from drowning
(from Longman dictionary)

Can I replace "to" in "throw to someone" by "for", throw for someone?
Thanks.

• horace.mik

Russian and Italian - bilingual
    I think you cannot. If I'm not mistaken the verb ''to throw'' can't be followed by 'for'. 'For' may be replaced with 'at', but in this case the meaning gets a little different. You can also take a look at the WR dictionary, it's rich of examples reporting ''to throw''

dadane

English-London
    No, you can't directly replace 'to' with 'for', that would mean you are throwing the ring on their behalf rather than for their assistance.

baab

Vietnamese
    Hi,
    Thanks, horace and dadane, for helps.
    Horace,
    I think you cannot. If I'm not mistaken the verb ''to throw'' can't be followed by 'for'. 'For' may be replaced with 'at', but in this case the meaning gets a little different. You can also take a look at the WR dictionary, it's rich of examples reporting ''to throw''
    To me, it seems that "throw for someone" in my first post is grammatical. I was curious to know its meaning in this case.
    Dadane,
    No, you can't directly replace 'to' with 'for', that would mean you are throwing the ring on their behalf rather than for their assistance.
    Interesting! I understand the difference between them better now.

< Previous | Next >