throwing a veil

< Previous | Next >

huskydog

English - Great Britain
In trying to convey confusion of an event (where much drink was imbibed) could the mind be said to be 'throwing a veil' to prevent clear recollection of it?

Although there is a sense of amnesia shrouding the whole incident - as if my mind could only cope with the sheer ghastliness of it by throwing a veil over things - I still have to accept full accountability for the vulgar events that took place that night.

Thanks for any input.

• St. Nick

English
    I don't know . . . "throwing a veil" sounds a little too tidy for getting shitfaced. Maybe "blurring in a haze" will trigger some ideas from others.

huskydog

English - Great Britain
    I didn't present things clearly enough in my first post. I guess what i'm trying to communicate is that if something very unpleasant, intensely emotional takes place (I guess the booze bit isn't neccassarily relevant to this) that the mind can trick us into forgetting it even happened. Could the mind therefore be said to be "throwing a veil"?

Sorry for misleading you St Nick.

Copyright

American English
    I think it sounds pretty poetic, although I might use "events" rather than "things": ... as if my mind could only cope with the sheer ghastliness of it by throwing a veil over events.

Edit: Reading it again, things has the advantage of being one syllable, so if you prefer that, feel free. :)

Last edited:

pops91710

English, AE
    I like it, too! I am sure there are people who are aware their is a reference here to a veil (or, the veil) of forgetfulness. So, in this example it looks perfectly good to me.

St. Nick

English
    I think it would be fine if it were from the perspective of a woman that shades a past indiscretion.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Have you also considered 'casting a veil over'? This appears to be a more common combination. Of course, if you are looking for something more innovative and creative, 'throwing a veil over' might be the thing.

huskydog

English - Great Britain
    Excellent feedback guys. Very helpful indeed. I think I will adopt the 'casting a veil over' in place of 'throwing' one, as natkretrep suggests. Also, Copyright, I fully see why 'events' is preferable to 'things' - strikes a much better tone.

Thanks all.

Huskydog

< Previous | Next >