thrown against a canvas...

< Previous | Next >

Simin93

Persian-Iran
Hi there
Could you please correct me? I think underlined part says: The image appears on the canvas or panel in the darkened area where the lines around different shapes (that they are in the image) could be copied.:(

In 1558 Giovanni Battista Della Porta wrote in his twenty-volume work Magia naturalis (meaning "natural magic") instructions for adding a convex lens to improve the quality of the image thrown against a canvas or panel in the darkened area where its outlines could be traced.

Reference: Sample of TOEFL Exam

Thank you in advance

• Simin93

Persian-Iran
    Thank you, bibliolept. Could you please tell me what I writing is incorrect?
    I think underlined part says: The image appears on the canvas or panel in the darkened area where the lines around different shapes (that they are in the image) could be copied

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    "Thrown" is usable, I would say, but given the context, a more neutral word like "cast" or "projected" might be preferable.
    I was a little surprised to find this definition so high in the listing under “throw” throw - WordReference.com Dictionary of English (I know it from film and TV projector discussions:))
    1. to project or cast (light, etc.):[~ + object]The streetlights threw shadows.

< Previous | Next >