Thug it out 'til we get it right

• Ecossaise

English
    Correctly "Slug it out until/till we get it right" = we will keep on at the problem until we find the right answer.

"Slug it" comes from boxing = repeatedly hitting the opponent.

nb 'til is incorrect = either until or till.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    tThanks a lot :) aAll straight!!!!!
    Hello MaximTag, and welcome to WordReference.

This is the English Only forum, so we can't offer you a translation. You could try posting on the Italian-English forum, of course.

There is nothing incorrect about 'til as an abbreviated form of until.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I stand corrected, Panj., but would also refer to this: http://www.bartleby.com/68/67/6067.html
    Noted, and fully acknowledged.

The OED lists a number of reputable examples of 'til standing for until. What I can't find, though, is any clear indication of a difference between until and till in this context. In other words, I can't find any clear reason why anyone would write 'til rather than till.

Now that I have the more recent Fowler to hand, I can add:
    Finally, it should be noted that some authorities urge their readers not to use a third form, namely 'til. In fact it is an informal 20th century contraction of until, and my be used with propriety in informal contexts.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    "Thug it out" seems to be a new idiom; it appears to be mentioned often in the context or rap or hip hop music.
    A quick look at Urban Dictionary seems to show that "thug" is used in phrases with a wide variety of meanings.

Drew956

English
    Sorry to bump this thread, but I was under the impression that you till a field and you thug it out 'til you get it right.
    In that context, if you used the word "till" then you would be mistaken. Now, I could be wrong but I think that sounds about right.
    Interesting phrase though. Thug it out. We'll thug it out 'til we figure out if the abbreviated form of until is 'til or till. :p
    Just decided to throw that out there,
    Peace,

~Drew

< Previous | Next >