Tibetan: It’s easy to do nothing. It’s hard to forgive.

< Previous | Next >

Broken Wolf

English
Salutations, everyone.

Could someone please translate the following into Tibetan?

"It’s Easy To Do Nothing. It’s Hard To Forgive"

Thank you in advance.

• L'irlandais

Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    The spiritual word forgive can be expressed as [dka' rnyog sel ba] དཀའ་རྙོག་སེལ་བ
    If you translated it to English it would literally be: to clear away trouble (discord)
    Source: The Tibetan and Himalayan Library
    To translate the word « nothing » in this context (as an opposite to forgiving) is no easy task.
    I see no way of reconstructioning the juxtaposition from the American comic. For me it’s a seemingly paradoxical statement, which doesn’t hold up under scrutiny. That’s to say, it is not easy to not forgive; it is in fact soul destroying. And correspondingly, for Buddhists from Tibet, forgiveness is letting go of anger, resentment, bitterness and other negative emotions, as a form of healing.

Compare this genuine buddhist saying: « Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. »
    So for Tibetans not forgiving is holding on to pain. Culturally not viewed as an easy thing to do.

Last edited:

Broken Wolf

English
    Firstly, the character who said that line is saying it to another character who doesn't share that belief.
    Secondly, it's not a comic. It's a cartoon. Thirdly. I just want the translation into Central Tibetan. It's just a sentence. I doubt it's very hard.

< Previous | Next >