ticker

lovelearning

Algeria Arabic
Hello everybody,

What does the word ticker mean, ticker news more exactly?I have found in the dictionary heart but I think it has another meaning in media coverage.

Thank you in advance

• Ralf

German
    As far as I know a ticker is a scrolling display of essential information (e. g. about stocks, prices, trade volume) used on stock markets. When you think about news stations (such as CNN) you'll probably remember the news bar or the bottom bar on the TV screen providing scrolling up-to-the-minute news. So this permanently scrolling bar might be called news ticker and in conclusion the information or the news provided is a ticker news.

I hope this explanation is not completely off the track.

Cheers.

P. S.: In the very early days of data transmission information had been transferred (wired or cabled) to the receiver and had been 'visualized' by perforating a reeled-up (stri:cross:p) tape of paper, which made a ticking sound. Thus, perhaps, the expression ticker.

lovelearning

Algeria Arabic
    Thank youy very much, it must be true since it's talking about news on a TV channel about the Iraki election

Thanks Ralf

badger

Ireland, English speaker
    Ralf said:
    P. S.: In the very early days of data transmission information had been transferred (wired or cabled) to the receiver and had been 'visualized' by perforating a reeled-up strip of paper, which made a ticking sound. Thus, perhaps, the expression ticker
    Also in the early days there was the "ticker tape reception" where a very popular person would parade down the street and these tapes would be thrown from all the office windows.

Badge.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    badger said:
    Also in the early days there was the "ticker tape reception" where a very popular person would parade down the street and these tapes would be thrown from all the office windows.

Badge.
    His eminence is totally correct...about 100 years ago 'ticker tape parades' were very popular in large American cities, and were deeply appreciated by the garbage collectors, who earned overtime pay sweeping up afterwards.

C

lsp

NY
    US, English
    Actually the ticker-tape has has a comeback, at least in NY. It's really quite something to see. And like magic, every trace, every scrap is gone the next day. The ticker display description is correct, but on buildings and advertising, etc. In the example of the news on the TV screen, we call that the "news scroll."

< Previous | Next >