Ticking "Stay logged in" when logging in

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by mkellogg, Jul 12, 2017.

1. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    A lot of people are having trouble staying logged in and some WordReference services require it, such as for WordReference Supporters. This is a short tutorial that explains how to do it.

Please see the attached screenshots.

1. In the top right corner of the forum webpage, click "Log In or Sign Up".
    Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 11.48.33 AM.png
    2. When the form is revealed, put in your username and password.
    3. To the right of the "Log In" button, there is a checkbox "Stay logged in". Please tick (check) it.
    Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 2.06.01 PM.png
    4. Click the button and you should be logged in permanently. If you restart your computer, you should be automatically logged in when you return to the forums or the dictionaries, and all WordReference services that rely on it should work, too.

I hope this helps!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  2. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Which WR services require you to stay logged in, Mike?

3. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    The WR Supporter paid service is the main one. (We only know it is you if you have logged in.) Creating Lists requires it, too.

4. Rivercove New Member

English
    I have been getting ads for two days, even though I have followed the instructions to "stay logged in." I am a Word Reference supporter. Please help. Thank you.

Steve

5. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    Hi Steve, you have obviously logged in. I just can't tell if you have logged in "permanently". So, log out and log back in, making sure to check the "stay logged in" checkbox. Then, using the same web browser, go to the dictionary and see if there are ads. If the ads are still there, we will have to do some further troubleshooting.

6. breid5212 New Member

English
    I also have trouble staying logged in. Yes, I've checked "stay logged in" hundreds of time, to no avail. This shut-out occurs even when I haven't shut my computer down, when I haven't deleted search history, or done anything else that should affect the program. It is happening more frequently lately, sometimes after being on WR for only a couple minutes. Why?

7. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    Hi, Breid. I will investigate some and get back to you, probably by email.

8. breid5212 New Member

English
    Thank you for your attention to this. I am most definitely checking the "stay logged in" box, every time.

9. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    breid,

The cookie that you should see is "xf_user". (Search the internet to find out how to see the cookies for your web browser.) You should see it after logging in and continue to see it. When you find that you have been logged out, check to see if it is still there. It probably got deleted.

I suspect that you are running an "anti-virus" program that thinks it is helping you by deleting cookies.

10. breid5212 New Member

English
    THANK YOU! I'm sure that must be it, and will figure out what I need to do differently. I most appreciate your time.
    B.Reid

11. celiaclara Senior Member

Spanish-Spain
    Hello. I am a WR supporter. Is there any easy way to get rid of ads? They keep popping up whatever I do. Thank you.

12. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    Hi celiaciara,

I just checked. Your Supporter status has expired. Please reregister as a Supporter and the ads should go away again. Thank you!

Mike