tidewater dog

< Previous | Next >

portafigues

Spain Spanish
I read in 'The Call of the Wild' this sentence:

Buck did not read the newspapers, or he would have known that trouble was brewing, not alone for himself, but for every tidewater dog, strong of muscle and with warm, long hair...

I looked it up in a dictionary and I found this for the word 'tidewater':

1. Water that inundates land at flood tide.
  2. Water affected by the tides, especially tidal streams.
  3. Low coastal land drained by tidal streams.
I have no idea about a 'tidewater dog' is. Any help? :)

• VenusEnvy

English, United States
    Most of the hits I received on Google were of a "Tideater Dog" training club. Perhaps a "tidewater dog" is one that is well-trained, strong and agile? Let's wait for another opinion. I'm stumped! Uncle!

Kelly B

USA English
    I think it may refer to any breed of dog that is bred for water: St. Bernards, retrievers... Not sure, though.

Lynn V.

U.S, English
    Glacier Bay in the Gulf of Alaska ...
    Glacier Bay has the world's largest concentration of tidewater glaciers (glaciers whose snouts touch tidal water).
    and the rest of the novel quote helps:
    ...long hair, from Puget Sound to San Diego. Because men, groping in the Arctic darkness, had found a yellow metal, and because steamship and transportation companies were booming the find, thousands of men were rushing into the Northland. These men wanted dogs, and the dogs they wanted were heavy dogs, with strong muscles by which to toil, and furry coats to protect them from the frost.
    I'm guessing it's a type of very strong dog(in this context sled dogs) bred to withstand the conditions of these glaciers.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Lynn V is on the right track. I have such a dog...a Chesapeake Bay Retriever....and he lives to get into the water and fetch, regardless of the temperature. He has the attributes described by London, and would have been a target for those who wanted sled dogs to work in the artic, as would Huskies and related breeds.

cheers,
    Cuchu

< Previous | Next >