tie-dye mood

translation lover

Arabic
Hi, I am working on a file for Lacoste women collection. But how can a mood be tie-died!? :(

They bide their time in acid washed jeans, rosy cheeks reflected upon the orange hues of cocktails while doodling crocodiles in the sand with their straws. Waiting for a wave of texts, their tie-dye mood, in lilac and coral, is made clear by being cast upon their white bikinis and low-cut cotton tee-shirts; and all this time, they surf for skateboard gear on their tablets.

Thank you

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    It's a reference to an earlier era, the 1960s-70s, when "flower power", relaxed moods, and tie-dyed clothes (especially T-shirts) were very much in vogue.

translation lover

Arabic
    How can we read the sentence then?
    A wave of texts hits them, so their tie-dye low-cut cotton tee-shirts in lilac and coral, are made clear by being cast upon their white bikinis??

Myridon

English - US
    We don't know that the t-shirts and bikinis are actually tie-dyed, only that the people's "tie-dye mood" is made clear by being "cast on" the t-shirts and bikinis. (I have no idea what "cast on" means here.)

owlman5

English-US
    Hi, I am working on a file for Lacoste women collection. But how can a mood be tie-died!? :(

They bide their time in acid washed jeans, rosy cheeks reflected upon the orange hues of cocktails while doodling crocodiles in the sand with their straws. Waiting for a wave of texts, their tie-dye mood, in lilac and coral, is made clear by being cast upon their white bikinis and low-cut cotton tee-shirts; and all this time, they surf for skateboard gear on their tablets.

Thank you
    The writer seems to be comparing their mood with the colorful visions that people see when they take psychedelic drugs. You might consider something like "colorful visions" or "colorful dreams" instead of "tie-dye mood": ..., their colorful dreams, in lilac and coral, are made clear by...

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    It would be best if we had pictures of the clothes being described.

I suspect that the the tee shirts really are tie-dyed. I can find other pictures of tie-dyed clothes by Lacoste, though not the ones described in your sentence ---> CLICK.

The image seems to be of text as a wave casting tie-dye over them as a wave casts water upon a beach. I agree that it is far from coherent. Was this written in English originally, or is this an English translation from another language, such as French? Advertising copy is often written for sound more than sense, this seems to be an extreme case, even for that.

Last edited:

se16teddy

English - England
    It basically means 'hippie'.
    Yes, that is the mood, or rather the kind of thinking, that I most associate with tie-died clothing. I suppose the mood is relaxed, to the point of disassociation from worldly concerns, possibly induced by hallucinogenic drugs but certainly comparable with some of the feelings induced by them.

< Previous | Next >