Tie-in seems a bit far-fetched

< Previous | Next >

atakeris

Latvian
Hello,

The 2nd section in the article is not related to the topic. And the tie-in to the main topic seems a bit far-fetched.

I have two questions:
1) Does "tie-in" work here? I know that this term is used for products, but I heard many times native speakers using it as a noun form of "tied to" for articles and etc.
2) Does "far-fetched" make sense here? What I meant is that the link between the main topic and what's written in the 2nd section is weak or not organic. Maybe there's another phrase/word for that?

Thanks!

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    We do not know the nature of the "2nd section" ans so it is hard to say if it is far-fetched or tenuous.

I would say "the link to the main topic seems a bit far-fetched/tenuous."

I think that tie-in is almost right, but not exactly right - it would certainly be understood - but a tie-in is usually an extension rather than a link.

atakeris

Latvian
    We do not know the nature of the "2nd section" ans so it is hard to say if it is far-fetched or tenuous.

I would say "the link to the main topic seems a bit far-fetched/tenuous."

I think that tie-in is almost right, but not exactly right - it would certainly be understood - but a tie-in is usually an extension rather than a link.
    Just to clarify, can you use the word "far-fetched" to mean "unnatural", "inorganic", "non-related"? In my dictionary, the definition is a bit on the "unbelievable" side. Thanks!

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    can you use the word "far-fetched" to mean "unnatural", "inorganic", "non-related"?
    No. It does go to the quality of the argument, rather than its substance.
    In my dictionary, the definition is a bit on the "unbelievable" side.
    :thumbsup: That is correct, which is why I offered "tenuous".

Theories that involve alien spaceships and ghosts are far-fetched.

< Previous | Next >