tie in with or conform to

< Previous | Next >

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
I think "tie in with" means "agree with". Do you think it is used appropriately in the following context? Could I use "conform to" to replace it? Could you specify the reasons?

The theme of this year's World Meterological Day is "Understanding Global Impact". The theme also tied in with International Polar Year.

• RocketGirl

Canada, English
    Tied in isn't the same as conform.

If something is "tied in" it means that it was a good fit. It was on topic and relevant. Conform is a "harsher" word in my opinion, and in itself implies that something has changed in order to fit with something else. In your case, the theme would have changed in order to fit with International Polar Year. I don't think this is what the sentence is saying.

So no, I would't advise replacing "tied in" with "conformed".

Orange Blossom

U.S.A. English
    "tied in" means connected with, integrated with, etc.

To conform is to change to fit someone else's idea of what something or someone should be.

The theme of this year's World Meterological Day is "Understanding Global Impact". The theme also tied in with International Polar Year.
    My only problem with these sentences is inconsistency of tense. I would insert an 'is' before 'also'.

Orange Blossom

mjscott

American English
    Is International Polar Year this year, or was it last year? Is it coinciding in this country, or is International Polar Year being observed somewhere else--maybe in another country? Why would you say tied, rather than ties (in the second sentence)?

(I know that International Polar Year assumes that many countries are observing World Meteorological Day, but I've not observed, nor heard of the year or the day being observed. However, that does not mean that some weather prognosticator in my neck of the woods hasn't heard of its existence!)

< Previous | Next >