tie up according to the cost and profit analysis

Paulfromitaly

Italian
Hello,

If the numbers tie up according to the cost and profit analysis, the new company should go on the Market for £ 5M to 7M.
This is what a business man say to some potential business partners who are interesting in his new company.

What does "tie up" exactly mean here?
Add up?

Thank you

• Loob

English UK
    I should think so, Paul:). Depending on any other clues in the context, I'd say it probably means "add up" in the broader sense of "make sense" rather than literally "come to the right total(s)".

Paulfromitaly

Italian
    I should think so, Paul:). Depending on any other clues in the context, I'd say it probably means "add up" in the broader sense of "make sense" rather than literally "come to the right total(s)".
    Thank you.
    Is it some kind of business jargon or an unusual way to put it?

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    It's either business jargon, British English, or both—British business jargon.

I don't think "tie up" is in general use in American English for "add up," "produce a favorable result," etc.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    A search of the internet for the numbers tie up finds examples in which it seems to mean "match up". Here are two examples:
    Feb 22, 2009... was part of the Gloucestershire Regiment, but none of the numbers tie up with the ones on his Service Record so I guess it can't be his. ..1st South Midland Brigade RFA - Great War Forum

column B making sure that the numbers tie up with the numbers on your slips. So if Bert's slip happens to be number 6 write 'Bert' under the 6 in column B ... The Repertory Grid in Action by P HONEY - 1993 -
    And one that more closely resembles the context of the OP:
    Yet, if the numbers tie up and total, many accept the status quo and do not care whether the parts making up the totals are in effect individually correct. .. Strategic Costing Techniques - Activity based Costing ...

It's not a use I remember having seen before.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    The second one is posted by someone located in Cambridgeshire UK.

The last one is reprinted from the journal Accountancy SA, a South African publication. I don't know where the authors are from.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I would agree with Loob's 'make sense' to mean 'be compatible'. The sense of linkage, of tying, comes from the need for one set of figures, maybe of the estimate of current profitability, to align with (be compatible with) another set of figures, maybe the observed level of profitability from the accounts; or, similarly, of calculation of the same figures from different sources, or by different methods.

< Previous | Next >