Tiffany trinket

< Previous | Next >

Ovidius

Banned
Hey guys,

Could you please tell me what does Tiffany trinket mean here? I’ve been reading an on-line review which mentions about the economist Robert Frank’s book The Darwin Economy. And the original sentences are as follows:

In many cases, the rich acquire them first; since what they have and do becomes widely known, emulation descends down the line.

Nor are these just Tiffany trinkets. Frank’s most vivid examples are newly built houses. As the very rich installed grander entrance halls and rarely used bathrooms, the professional classes felt they should have a semblance of such amenities.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2012/feb/23/were-more-unequal-you-think/?page=2

Frank argued in favor of the Say's Law, supply creates its own demands. The supplies nowadays such as houses and electronic products will for sure firstly meet the rich’s needs and somehow by this the author is also backed up where he seemed to put it clear in his title We’re More Unequal Than You Think, underlining the fact that different income strata will build the society as a whole. Anyway, Tiffany trinket sounds unfamiliar to me. How do you interpret it?

Your help would be appreciated.

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    Tiffany is a well-known, high-priced chain of jewelry stores in the U.S. They package their products in boxes that are easily recognized by their light blue color. Giving someone a present from Tiffany suggests that you spent a lot of money on that present - probably more than they would have spent for a comparable item anywhere else, but the blue box adds perceived value.

A "Tiffany trinket" is a little piece of jewelry that someone bought at Tiffany.

< Previous | Next >