tilework

< Previous | Next >

sobhan

Persian
In a new English textbook in Iran I've seen tilework. I've searched for it a lot but I couldn't find anything suitable for it. Is it correct to say tilework?

• Myridon

English - US
    We can't know if it's "overgeneralized" (whatever that means) if we don't know how it's used. There's not an entry in our dictionary for tilework but there is one for brickwork.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I've never seen the word 'tilework'. It could be used for the tiles of a roof, or for decorations like mosaics made of tiles, but it's not a familiar word.

kentix

English - U.S.
    The tilework is exquisite.

It seems like a normal word to me and my phone does recognize it. It describes tiles used to cover a surface and more so if it's decorative.

Here is a store in Minnesota in the U.S.
    Ceramic Tileworks is your resource for porcelain tile in Minnesota.

Maybe it's more common in the U.S.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    There's no sentence actually. It's not used in any sentences.
    Then what did you mean when you said "In a new English textbook in Iran I've seen tilework"? Did you mean you saw the word in your book? If so, it must have appeared in some kind of context.
    Or did you mean you saw a picture of something that you would call tilework, and wondered whether the word exists?

Language Hound

American English
    In a new English textbook in Iran I've seen tilework. I've searched for it a lot but I couldn't find anything suitable for it. Is it correct to say tilework?
    I'm not sure what you mean by the sentence I've highlighted. Do you mean you searched for the definition of tilework?
    Packard's links show wonderful images of tilework. Here is a definition of tilework, which is sometimes written as two words (tile work) or with a hyphen (tile-work):
    tilework (uncountable)

1. The tiled surfaces of something, or the arrangement of tiles on a surface.
      Decorative tilework typically takes the form of mosaic upon the walls, floor, or ceiling of a building. Source

< Previous | Next >