till versus cash box

Hese

German
Hello again,

is there a difference between till and cash box or can they be used interchangeably?

Thank you

• charisma_classic

English, U.S.A.
    They can be used interchangeably. However, "register" or "cash register" is more common in a modern store. "Cash box" is only if it is literally just a box of cash, which we do see at flea markets, produce stands, typically non-cash businesses, etc.

Hello Hese,

"Till" is a little more vague than "cash box." A till can be a drawer, a box, or some other type of compartment; whereas a cash box is (surprise, surprise) a box. In the case of the latter, the only things in question are its size and the amount of money it holds! ;o)

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Register and cash register is certainly the most common in AE. I don't particularly know what's more popular in BE.

Till is quite common in AE as well. I'd say that charisma_classic is right: a "cash box" is a literal cash box or nondescript container.

Matching Mole

England, English
    A till is principally, in modern usage, a cash register, it records the amounts that go into it by some mechanism and is used to hold cash taken from sales. A cash box is just a box, usually lockable, and often with compartments for coins, etc. It may be used for sales, particularly by very small business, market stalls, etc., but the term is much more general than till.

gasman

Canada, English
    A till is principally, in modern usage, a cash register, it records the amounts that go into it
    Surely the till is a part of the cash register; it holds the takings, and the rest of the machine records the monies in and out.

JamesM

Surely the till is a part of the cash register; it holds the takings, and the rest of the machine records the monies in and out.
    That was my understanding as well. The till is the drawer-like portion of the machine that holds the bills and change in separate compartments. You can have a till without a register.

I have seen free-standing tills, basically sorting boxes for money with spring-loaded clips to hold the bills. Let me see if I can find a picture.

http://www.mayfairstationers.co.uk/images/hx32497.jpg

I agree with charisma_classic's definition of cash box. Here is an image:

http://www.global-b2b-network.com/direct/dbimage/50216042/Cash_Box.jpg

Last edited:

Oeco

English - US
    I agree that the "till" is the cash drawer of the register. There's a saying in retail to help prevent arguments about how much is owed in change. "Bill on the till." This means that you put the large bill ($20 or $50 in our world) horizontally on the drawer and count the change out to the customer. If there is a disagreement ("Hey, I gave you a five hundred dollar bill!") you still have that "bill on the till" to show them.

< Previous | Next >