time any little irregularity of your own

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
Hello everyone. I would like to know what "time any little irregularity of your own" means in the following sentences:

Perhaps because she doesn't drink. It's a great advantage not to drink among hard-drinking people. You can hold your tongue, and, moreover, you can time any little irregularity of your own so that everybody else is so blind that they don't see or care. Perhaps Daisy never went in for amour at all—and yet there's something in that voice of hers....

- F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby, Chapter 4

Nick invited Jordan to tea and Jordan recalled Daisy's life as she witnessed. Daisy once loved a major named Jay Gatsby, but when he went to the war and didn't return, she resigned and got married to Tom Buchanan. The couple settled down in Chicago, where Daisy came up with an absolutely perfect reputation. Jordan attributed her perfect reputation to the fact that she didn't drink.

In this part, I could not understand what "irregularity" means in this context. Does it mean little defects in one's character? Or even adulterous relationships?
I would very much appreciate your help. :)

• Chez

English English
    Yes, it could be anything that she doesn't want other people to see or know about her character or behaviour.

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear Chez,

Thank you very much for the reply.
    Then, in this context, since Jordan is speaking of "amour," can I say that the irregularity somewhat implied adulterous relationships?

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear bennymix,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
    So the irregularity indicated any improper sexual activities.
    I truly appreciate your help. :)

Dear bennymix,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
    So the irregularity indicated any improper sexual activities.
    I truly appreciate your help. :)
    You're welcome. An example would be, for Daisy to kiss another woman. That is not, strictly speaking, adultery, but if it were observed--by sober folks-- it would be considered improper. If they're drunk they may not see, or if so, not care!

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    An example would be, for Daisy to kiss another woman.
    Dear bennymix,

Oh, I've never thought of that! Now I see I was unconsciously narrowing down the possibility of the "irregularity."
    Thank you for letting me see a broader horizon with such a proper example. :)

< Previous | Next >