time-enabling hardware and software

Mohammad777

Farsi
Hi,
Please see the context below:
If time is now a problem of the hardware that humans can appropriate and dispose of, then in order to maintain crucial time margins (taking the waiting out of wanting), translators must access to the time-enabling hardware and software which by its very nature is subject to the relentless obsolescence of the new.
What does the writer mean by time-enabling software?
Thank you in advance

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum, Mohammad. :)

There are some puzzling elements in this quotation. Can you please tell us the source? (Add a link if you can.)

Mohammad777

Farsi
    Unfortunately new members are not allowed to post links ):
    I saw this phrase on Proz.com, you may google it to find it. There is only one proposed answer and it says time-enabling hardware is a kind of hardware which accelerates the translation process and enables the translator to work faster.Is it correct?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    If time is now a problem of the hardware that humans can appropriate and dispose of, then in order to maintain crucial time margins (taking the waiting out of wanting), translators must access to the time-enabling hardware and software which by its very nature is subject to the relentless obsolescence of the new.
    What does the writer mean by "time-enabling hardware and software"?
    Interestingly, I couldn't find this sentence at the website Proz.com (a networking site for translators), but I did find it at Amazon in a book, Translation and Globalization, by Michael Cronin. The word "to" following "access" isn't in the original sentence.

I have no idea of the meaning of the phrase you're asking about. The notion of "enabling" time mystifies me. In fact, to me the entire sentence is meaningless gobbledygook. Others may feel differently.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    My best guess is time-enabling hardware and software = hardware and software that gives a time advantage to the user/saves the user time.

If I were you, I would never use that adjectival phrase.

compaqdrew

English - AE
    OP's link is here, Parla's link is here. I agree with Parla that clearly the original quoter transposed a "to".

The author is trying to be very fancy with the language here, and it isn't really working in my view. The author seems to use free capitalization, loads of jargon, and intersperse mystery foreign phrases in his sentences. It has been my experience that this sort of thing is sadly common among certain academic communities, and the insular nature of these communities can cause their writing to diverge quite a bit from what standard English readers would expect.

At any rate after reading a few pages of this book I think what the author probably means by "time-enabling hardware" is that the hardware enables you to have more time. In my view this is not a good choice of phrase, nor is it one that would necessarily be clear to native readers, but I think that is what is meant by it.

< Previous | Next >