time off...

• Kelly B

USA English
    Not without the rest of the sentence.

I suspect it says something like you may choose time off (vacation time) in lieu of (instead of) overtime pay. I probably shouldn't say this, though, because wild guesses based on invented context are really not appropriate here.

Hello, and welcome, anyway!

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    marry said:
    Hi everybody!
    Does anybody can explain me what does mean "time off in lieu"?
    Hello, Marry.

Welcome to the forums. :)

It seems to me that more context is missing. "Time off" refers to a break from something. "In lieu of" means "instead of." So I guess you could say "He'd like time off in lieu of a raise."

But more context would help.

jinti

Time off in lieu of compensation would mean a free day or some free hours instead of extra money.

For instance, if I lead a company function on a Saturday (when I do not usually work), I cannot get paid extra for doing it. But maybe I can stay home on Monday instead. That's time off in lieu of compensation.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    This is a common phrase in UK public sector employment.
    It is not unusual for people to work outside normal hours and then to take time off instead of (in lieu of) claiming overtime payment. Frequently abbreviated to TOIL on leave-sheets.

MCL

English, U.S.
    (AE) The company I worked for called it 'comp. time,' short for compensation -in lieu of, or instead of- payment.

< Previous | Next >