Time stamps wrong after changing forum language

Erebos12345

Canadian English
Hi,

Not a huge issue or anything, but ever since I changed my WRF display language from English to Simplified Chinese, I don't think the time stamps are showing the times in my time zone (UTC -5:00 Eastern time). It's hard to tell since recent posts are stamped with "## minutes ago" in Chinese. But slightly older posts are stamped with times seemingly not in my time zone. For example, it shows that some of my recent posts were made at 4:21 in the morning or something, and I certainly wasn't up at that hour making posts.

(Edit: it seems to be displaying Beijing time, which I think is 12hours ahead of me.)

The correct time zone is selected in my settings but the wrong times are displaying both on my computer, when accessing WRF on Firefox, and from my iPhone, accessing WRF on Safari.

And while I'm at it, for the time stamps in Chinese, AM is translated as 上午 and PM as 下午. While in English, AM encompasses 00:00 to 11:59, while PM encompasses 12:00 to 23:59, I don't think 上午 and 下午 are that flexible in Chinese. 凌晨 would be used for the wee hours of the morning, 早晨 for morning hours, and 晚上 for evening hours.

Thanks

Last edited:
  • mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    Hi,

You can change your time zone here. Let me know if it still doesn't work right after you make that change.

As for AM and PM, does it make sense to use 上午 and 下午 or should we just set the time to a 24-hour format such as 14:30?

Erebos12345

Canadian English
    Hi Mike.

My time zone has always been set to UTC -5:00 Eastern time (USA + Canada).

It's weird. I've switched WRF back to English (US). But take my first post in this thread. It shows me that I last edited it yesterday at 9:55 PM, but I know for a fact that I was already asleep by about 9:30 last night, meaning I made that edit at 8:55 PM EST.

If I switch WRF to French, keeping my time zone the same, it still says I made that edit at 21:55 yesterday when I come to this thread. Same result when I switch it to German.

Now switching it back to Simplified Chinese, and coming to this thread, it says I made that edit 昨天 9:55 上午 (Yesterday at 9:55 in the morning.)

Frankly, none of the time stamps are right. :D

----------

As for AM/PM in Chinese, I think it's best to stick to a 24-hour clock. You can check with a Chinese native, but it sounds odd to say 上午3:00, for 3:00 in the morning, or 下午11:00 for 11:00 at night. 凌晨3:00 and 晚上11:00 would be more idiomatic. (The 下午/早晨/凌晨/晚上 also comes before the time in Chinese, not after.)

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    Your computer might have the wrong time zone set. I am not sure.

Looking at your last post, no matter what interface language that I set, it shows the post at 7:41 PM. That is also the timestamp of the email notification that I got about your post. Everything looks right to me.