Time was taken from us.

playingthevillain

English (UK)
Hey could anyone give me the translation for 'Time was taken from us' into Japanese characters for me? If you can it would be appreciated!

Thanks

• mcabr

USA----English
    時間が好き

that is what you are looking for. I don't think you should get a tattoo of Japanese unless you know how to read and write what you want to get.

A.K

Chile, Spanish
    mcabr said:
    時間が好き

that is what you are looking for. I don't think you should get a tattoo of Japanese unless you know how to read and write what you want to get.
    Doesn't that mean "I like time" ?

kamome

italian - italy
    ...maybe I'm a very dummy one, but I can't understand the real meaning of the sentence you asked to translate in nihongo...and, not meant to be any unkind, but I dare say that the above joke was some too much mean to our english friend, mcabr様...ね?
    ...out of all that, 「LOL! 時間が好きですことが可笑しい肯定だ、ね!」 

かもめ。

Brazilian dude

Portuguese - Brazil
    I would say 時間はわたしたちからとられました (jikan wa watashitachi kara toraremashita).

Brazilian dude

kamome

italian - italy
    I agree, if the meaning was about WE WERE "stolen" OF OUR TIME:

「僕達に時間を取られた~盗まれた」 
    "bokutachi ni jikan o torareta/nusumareta" (informal)

「私達・・・取ラレ増した~・・・盗まれました」
    "watashitachi toraremashita/nusumaremashita" (formal)

かもめ。

Brazilian dude

Portuguese - Brazil
    取ラレした
    Your ME or whatever it is is playing tricks on you.

I don't think を could be used in these examples since we don't have the direct object anymore, but the subject of a passive verb. I'd definitely use ga.

Brazilian dude

kamome

italian - italy

Brazilian dude said:
    "Your ME or whatever it is is playing tricks on you...I don't think を could be used"

...I see now, BD, thanks - I hadn't noticed that IME selection when typing - and, although easily considering 「時間」 the "stolen object", I find your suggestion to 「が」 more suitable - you know, in a recent post we were just speaking about the appreciated growing use of 「を」 in "alternance/misunderstandable sentences" to 「が」.

かもめ。

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Brazilian dude said:
    I don't think を could be used in these examples since we don't have the direct object anymore, but the subject of a passive verb. I'd definitely use ga.
    There is still the direct object in its own place and role. The passive sentence can take both が and を. An unequivocally in situ direct object would be;

Taro-wa Hanako-ni saifu-o torare-ta.
    Taro-Nom Hanako-BY wallet-Acc take-Passive-Past.
    太郎は花子に財布を取られた。
    Eng: Taro had his wallet stolen by Hanako.

A corresponding positive construction would be;

Hanako-wa Taro-no saifu-o totta.
    Hanako-Topic Taro-Gen wallet-Acc take-Past.
    花子は太郎の財布を取った。
    Eng: Hanako stole Taro's wallet.

What is known as passive in Japanese denotes the subject undergoing certain action (which could be a full sentence with an object noun) involuntarily.

Flaminius bonae voluntatis

kamome

italian - italy
    Flaminius said:
    There is still the direct object in its own place and role. The passive sentence can take both が and を.

...thanks, Flamini amice - I supposed I wasn't all that wrong, this time...:eek:

かもめ

< Previous | Next >