timely zinger

< Previous | Next >

Yuribear

Español, Mex-USA
Hi! I found this expression as a title and I am not sure what it means. Have you heard it before? I found Zinger means:

Main Entry: zing·er
Pronunciation: 'zi[ng]-&r
Function: noun
1 : something causing or meant to cause interest, surprise, or shock
2 : a pointed witty remark or retort

Could you give me examples of how to use it??
Thanks!!!

• TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    Timely just means the person is quick at coming up with appropriate zingers.
    Janice is a master of the timely zinger with witty, caustic remarks always at the ready.

Elisabetta

nycphotography

American English
    TrentinaNE said:
    Timely just means the person is quick at coming up with appropriate zingers.
    Janice is a master of the timely zinger with witty, caustic remarks always at the ready.
    Or that they expertly apply them at the most opportune times.

Yuribear

Español, Mex-USA
    Thanks for your comments, but can you tell me in other words equivalent words for zinger? I'm afraid I still don't understand completely how it is used. Thanks so much for your help!!:D

JamesM

I don't know if there are any single words that match the meaning of "zinger." A zinger is a well-timed trenchant remark.

A professor of mine in college was spouting off about how women really had it good in the "good old days" when a witty friend of mine delivered a zinger.

Prof: "Why, women were in an enviable position... they were placed on a pedestal!"

Friend: "Yes, one just high enough to clean the ceiling."

Another example:

Dorothy Parker and Clare Boothe Luce were entering the Algonquin. They had a famous hatred for each other. Clare Boothe Luce stepped back and allowed Dorothy Parker to enter the hotel first.

Clare Boothe Luce said: "Age before beauty!" (a common rule of etiquette, but an insult to point out)
    Dorothy Parker replied: "Pearls before swine." (a Biblical saying cleverly twisted to fit the situation)

THAT's a zinger. :)

Yuribear

Español, Mex-USA
    Thanks James, so then could it be said that a "zinger" can be any sort of witty remark or commentary that could or not be poignant? and that a zinger is something that people do without necessarily pointing out.. "this is a zinger"?

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    A zinger is not poignant. It usually (like the examples James gave) is cleverly insulting or makes the recipient look a bit foolish. I think the second definition you noted at the outset is actually the more common interpretation of zinger.

Cheers,
    Elisabetta

JamesM

The person delivering the zinger has no need to point it out. It's painfully obvious... and I do mean "painfully." :)

If the zinger was delivered in a group of friends to a friend, one of the other friends might comment on it by saying, "She got you good with that one!" or "touché!" or "ouch! That must have hurt!", some remark like that. Otherwise, it's usually met with a brief period of stunned silence and stifled laughter. ;)

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    A zinger is usually prompted by something - they rarely come out of the blue - and I would see riposte as a good synonym

< Previous | Next >