Timing vs Time

< Previous | Next >

Li'l Bull

Spanish (Spain)
Hi, everyone!

Context: Schedule / timetable of events (children's games)

I'm organising some activities for children. I need to draw up a schedule/timetable indicating the activity and the number of minutes the activity is planned to take. For instance:

Game: Hopscotch / Timing: 45 minutes

My question is: Is "Timing" the right word here? I don't know whether to use "time" or "timing", but I think "time" might be confusing because it would normally refer to e.g. 16.30 p.m.

Thank you in advance! :)

• Linkway

British English
    "Time" usually refers to the time of day, 09:30 or 16:45 for example.

In the context you have given, it would obvious that you meant it lasted for 45 minutes.

I certainly would not use "Timing" as the label here. Timing is most often used with regard to the measurent of the time taken to complete a certain task or sequence of events.

To be more precise, you could say: "Duration:".

Last edited:

Li'l Bull

Spanish (Spain)
    Thank you, Linkway and Hildy :)

I certainly would not use "Timing" as the label here. Timing is most often used with regard to the measurent of the time taken to complete a certain task or sequence of events.
    I'm not sure I understand: the 45 minutes refers to the number of minutes I've planned for the activity to take, not the number of minutes it actually lasted. Does this change anything? I mean, is "Timing" wrong in this context even if we are talking about planning events?

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    When you make a schedule in advance, it is clear that you are talking about the time that is planned, not the time that something will take in fact. You can't know the future.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    "Duration" has the right meaning and sounds okay to me, though it's a bit formal. "Time" also seems acceptable, since the meaning (how long, not the time of day) is obvious.

Let's see what other people think.

< Previous | Next >