Tip

panjabigator

Am. English
How does one say tip, as in the money given to a waitress or server, in Arabic? In Panjabi (and Hindi and Urdu), the word used is /bakshiish/, however I have just found out that the word also means bribe in Arabic. Can someone confirm this for me?

Edit: I thought I should include the word we use for bribe, which I believe is Arabic in origin: /rishwat/ رشوت

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    In MSA you can use either بخشيش (bakhshiish) or بقشيش (baqshiish); the former is more common. In Palestinian Arabic we say بخشيش (bakhshiish). As far as I know, neither one has a connotation of bribery. A bribe, as Whodunit said, is رشوة (rashwa).

panjabigator

Am. English
    I spelled /baqshiish/ the way I pronunce it, /bakshiish/. A lot of Indian Panjabi or Hindi speakers pronunce the خ as a کھ (pronunced as a ک with an aspiration) and a ق as a ک. Thanks for the correction; I wasn't aware of the correct spelling.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Bakchich in French is tip, and if I didn't misunderstand, it also stands for bribe. Here's what I found in my dictionary :
    Quote=Le Robert
    Bakchich n.m- mot turc. Pourboire, pot-de-vin (dans les pays d'Orient)
    By the way, it's the first time I see it written with خ I've always seen it with ق and -of course :) - in Egypt we pronounce it ba2shiish.

We even have an expression with a verb created from the word "yeba2shesh" : enta 7atba2shesh 3alayya?! = do you think you're giving me an [undeserved] favor ?!
    We say it when someone is giving us something as if it were a favour, when it's not so. Or similar situation. I don't have a clearer example now, sorry.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    cherine said:
    By the way, it's the first time I see it written with خ I've always seen it with ق and -of course :) - in Egypt we pronounce it ba2shiish.
    This is ironic, because this is the first time I've heard of the version with a ق (I looked it up after Whodunit mentioned it in post #2). In Palestinian Arabic, we use only بخشيش - which, by the way, also has other meanings. We use it, for example, to refer to something that we are giving away (usually to charity).

3indi ktiir awaa3i balbashomesh, azinni ra7 abakhshishhom. - I have so many clothes I don't wear; I think I'm going to give them away.

zooz

Arabic & Syrian Arabic
    I forgot to say that بقشيش is not commonly used in Syria and rather unlikely to be said. After thinking, I see some kind of similarity with the French usage. The more frequent word is اكرامِيّة.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    The word إكرامية is used in Egypt too.
    Recently, with the growing use of English words in Egypt, lots of people tend to use more often the word "tips" (yes in plural :) ) sibt tebs (I left/gave tips) or eddeit tebs (I gave tips)

* I intentionally transliterated it with "e" instead of "i" and "b" instead of "p", because this is the way that people generally pronounce the word here, except of course for those who speak languages and pronounce the word correctly.

J.F. de TROYES

francais-France
    Bakchich in French is tip, and if I didn't misunderstand, it also stands for bribe.c.
    I think that "bakshish" in French always means a bribe ; you can't say "N'oublie pas de donner un bakshish au serveur" ( Don't forget to give a tip to the waiter ) , or it would sound very strange and dubious ! A "pourboire" is given to a waiter.

< Previous | Next >