tir

raf.personal

English
Hi!
I haven't been able to find the words "tir fermi." Please, help!
The context is the following:
"Il traffico è rimasto a lungo bloccato dall’aeroporto verso le altre destinazioni a causa di numerosi tir fermi nella neve."
Thanks!

• MStraf

Actually, the dictionary translates TIR as Truck, but infact it is the acronym for "Transport International de Marchandises par la Route", an European convention to expedite cargo through customs.

A big blue TIR sticker can be seen on containers carried by European big trucks, and such sticker shows that the cargo has been already checked by international officers. Only with time TIR became, at least in Italy, synonym for big trucks.

CPA

British English/Italian - bilingual
    TIR is an acronym for "Transport International Routière". In BE I think it used to be known as a Heavy Goods Vehicle.

Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    Here in the US we don't have TIR's - we do have 'trucks' , 'heavy trucks' and 'eighteen wheelers' ( the stuff that kuntry music is made of.. )

How about " ... due to several heavy trucks stuck in the snow " ?

raf.personal

English
    Thanks to everyone!
    So what would be:
    "Il traffico è rimasto a lungo bloccato dall’aeroporto verso le altre destinazioni a causa di numerosi tir ferminella neve."

MStraf

Here in the US we don't have TIR's ...
    Actually, we do :)

First of all, TIR is not a kind of "vehicle", it is an European program for cargo transportation. In Italy we have "autocarri, autotreni, autosnodati, autoarticolati", and many of them carry containers labeled with the TIR blue tag very well visible, so it became kind of common to call all those vehicle simply with the name of TIR (but I already explained that) So, in common Italian, TIR is synonym for "big truck" (or big lorry)
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:TIR-Plate.gif

Back to us, that is back to the US (pun intended)

The United States recognize the TIR convention, and are "Contracting Parties".
    http://www.unece.org/tir/system/history/tir-history.htm
    We don't see the TIR logo very often, but we do see it sometimes in the containers. I was kind of surprised the first time I saw one of them during my commute on the 80 Interstate, it was like being back home :)