<title-clinching> hat-trick [sports]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by shop-englishx, Apr 23, 2016.

1. shop-englishx

shop-englishx Banned

Urdu
    Hello,

What is the meaning of "title-clinching" in this sentence?

Three years ago today - a title-clinching hat-trick from "Robin van Persie"!

Please enlighten me on this,

Thank you!:)

2. Englishmypassion

Englishmypassion Senior Member

Nainital
    India - Hindi
    A hat-trick that helped his team to clinch/win the title or tournament.

3. shop-englishx

shop-englishx Banned

Urdu
    Thank EMP.
    Can I say:
    title-wining hat-trick

Also, can "clinching" (meaning "wining") be used in some other contexts other than sports, e.g, a student makes a speech at a speech competition in their college and wins a gold medal, can is it correct to say: A medal-clinching speech,

4. Englishmypassion

Englishmypassion Senior Member

Nainital
    India - Hindi
    Yes, you can say "a title-winning hat-trick" and use "clinching" in contexts out of sports too. You can clinch a debate, an argument, etc. too. Yes, "a medal-clinching speech" is fine if the medal is given for winning the speech competition.

5. sound shift

sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    In this football context, "a title-clinching hat-trick" suggests to me a hat-trick that finally secures the title for that player's team, after a long season. The implication is that Van Persie's team won the match in which he scored three times and that this victory brought confirmation that his team would be crowned champions after this had been a possibility for some time. "Clinch" is not 100% synonymous with "win". We wouldn't say "I clinched £20 on the lottery", for example, because we don't struggle to secure victory on the lottery; it's simply a matter of chance.